Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dual 1.8 Ghz G5

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
macbidouille posts the following.
just give me some time, i ll give a gogle translation and translate it by hand.
Macbidouille posts in the title [Rumeur] = Rumor so take it with a bit of salt.
Nous avons reçu des informations supplémentaires sur l'un des casse tête de l'été pour Apple, la livraison des G5.

Nous vous avions déjà raconté que les commandes de G5 Bi 2Ghz avaient dépassé toutes les estimations. Or le nombre de processeur est trop limité pour fournir dans un délais raisonnable des machines.
Apple planche pour trouver une solution. Ils décideront d'ici une semaine de l'opportunité d'intercaler dans la gamme un G5 Bi 1,8 GHz pour soulager la pression sur le haut de gamme et écouler les stocks de processeurs à 1,8 GHz. Cette machine devrait coûter dans les 2549$.
Si Apple décide de la produire, les clients ayant passé des précommandes seront contactés pour éventuellement modifier leur commande.

Nous avons également eu quelques informations sur les livraisons de G5:
- Les premières machines devraient bientôt arriver, mais Apple ayant un système de priorité, les studios cinématographiques, de graphisme et les instituts scientifiques seront livrés en priorité.
Pour le public, les machines devraient arriver à partir du 14 août.
- Pour les G5 Dual 2GHz:
Les 20000 premiers sortiront aussi mi août, mais il faudra attendre début septembre pour en voir arriver 40000 de plus. Les suivants ne seront ensuite livrées que fin septembre !

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Translation

So here it comes:
I hope you understand what i want to say.
We received additional information on one of break-head of the summer for APPLE, the delivery of G5.

We had already told you that the orders of G5 Bi 2Ghz had exceeded all the estimates. However the number of processors is limited too much to provide within of a reasonable time the machines.

APPLE board will decide within one week of the advisability of intercalating in the range G5, a Bi 1,8 GHz to take off the pressure on the top-of-the-range one and to lower the amount of cpu of G5 1.8 GHZ in stock.

This machine should cost in the 2549$.

If APPLE decides to produce the dual 1.8 Ghz machine, the customers having placed precommands will be contacted to ask wether they are interested in modifying their order.
We also had some information on the deliveries of G5: - the first machines should arrive soon, but APPLE having a system of priority, the cinematographic studios, of the scientific graphics and institutes will be delivered in priority.

For the public, the machines should arrive as from August 14. - For G5 Dual 2GHz: The 20000 first will leave also semi August, but it will be necessary to await at the beginning of September to see some 40000 of more arriving.
The following will be delivered only at the end of September!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
well,
i think i d also take a dual 1.8 rather than the dual 2.0.
as the processor will probably be much more stable, even if the 2.0 will be stable as well.
perhaps they can even run on a lower voltage than the 2.0 ghz one, that will result in much less heat and therefore less noise, as the fans don t have to pump as much air through the case. and a silent pc is pretty important for me. I can t stand noisy ones anymore.
my 3gz p4 is producing sounds like a jet.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Page 1'd for interest sake.

No idea of accuracy... beyond it coming from Macbidouille (which has been +/-)

arn

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I don't understand why they weren't all dual anyway. Probably to reach a lower price point I guess. I've got a Dual G4 powermac and being able to do a really processor intensive task on one processor (like DVD ripping) whilst the machine remains responsive because of the second processor is cool.

I guess the reason the dual 2GHz is popular is because it's the only dualie machine. Releasing a lower spec / price dual makes sense.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by maradong
well,
i think i d also take a dual 1.8 rather than the dual 2.0.
as the processor will probably be much more stable, even if the 2.0 will be stable as well.

I never experienced any processor stability problems with any of my Macs I owned so far, so I don't expect that to be an issue for the G5 as well.

Originally posted by maradong
perhaps they can even run on a lower voltage than the 2.0 ghz one, that will result in much less heat and therefore less noise, as the fans don t have to pump as much air through the case. and a silent pc is pretty important for me.

That is the more interesting part... the noise level! :) And also it would save almost 500$! A dual 1.8GHz would be still fast enough for the projects coming next year, especially in comparison to the G4s...

Salut,

groovebuster

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Noise level is low w/o full power

The usage of 9 fans results in low noise levels in general, even when the machine is running fulls peed, lull load. That´s why they have controlled fans, and so much of them.

Stop calculating that nine fans means nine times the noise. That´s so much past.

The new machines are low noise machines, finito, get it!

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by caveman_uk
being able to do a really processor intensive task on one processor (like DVD ripping) whilst the machine remains responsive because of the second processor is cool.

If the applications you use are well-written, your machine should stay responsive even with one processor during DVD ripping.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i hope this does not backfire! imagine this, people start buying the dual 1,8 instead of the dual 2,0. :(

and losing 500 $ per computer

this should only be offered to pre-ordered computers.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Re: Noise level is low w/o full power

Originally posted by giffut
The usage of 9 fans results in low noise levels in general, even when the machine is running fulls peed, lull load. That´s why they have controlled fans, and so much of them.

:confused: What are you talking about? Nobody never questioned that the G5s are way less noisier than the G4s.

Stop calculating that nine fans means nine times the noise. That´s so much past.

Nobody did...

The new machines are low noise machines, finito, get it!

Less heat produced means less need to cool, means less fan action, means less noise... with or without 9 controlled fans. Get it! ;)

groovebuster

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by groovebuster
I never experienced any processor stability problems with any of my Macs I owned so far, so I don't expect that to be an issue for the G5 as well.
well neither do i, but, the amount of chips running at 2 ghz is not as high as the amount of chips able to run at 1.8 ghz. so the criteria is much more strict for the 2 ghz models.
i though they could break easilier than the slower chips.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
wow very cool, If I had the money I might think about thinking getting one ;)

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i hope this does not backfire! imagine this, people start buying the dual 1,8 instead of the dual 2,0. :(

What's the problem with that? Over all they can sell more computers, because the supply of 2GHz processors is limited...

iand losing 500 $ per computer

I don't think they would. The margin should be pretty much the same on both machines, around 25%... so they "lose" only 125$... which is more than compensated when they can sell 25% more duals to meet demand for dual machines. And I am pretty sure they would sell quite more than just 25% more...

this should only be offered to pre-ordered computers.

Right... and pissing off all the other customers that still have to wait weeks for a new machine because they didn' pre-order?

groovebuster

Puppies

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Makes sense to me, especially if the 2Ghz ones are in short supply. I know I'd probably go for a dual 1.8Ghz one if I was getting a desktop system. I mean it's still a fast, dual processor 970!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
apparently the number of cpu s, per waffer ,ableto run at 2 ghz is getting bigger every day. so perhaps the 1.8 ghz will only be a temp offer. until the 2.0 ghz can be produced in a resonable amount.

don t forget that if the preorders are so high, the cost for the produciton / chip gets littler, perhaps we will se a price drop in the following weeks. ?

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
While it's all round good news, it seems that the price differential between the single 1.8, dual 1.8 and the dual 2 will be too cramped. There's only $600 dollars difference between the current 1.8 and the 2GHz machines.

As a consumer it would make sense to me that the whole G5 series prices are redistributed, but it's too late for that, the die's been cast.

With this sort of fiddling it may be better to go to Build to Order.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by reflex
If the applications you use are well-written, your machine should stay responsive even with one processor during DVD ripping.
Indeed it should but it'll be better with two. Something has to give otherwise. Either mencoder gets more cycles or the other stuff you're doing does. According to top, mencoder is using almost 100% processor usage during a rip but the second processor is still pretty free. I realise there's going to be contention on the buses and for IO but two's gotta be better than one in this situation;)

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by scan300
While it's all round good news, it seems that the price differential between the single 1.8, dual 1.8 and the dual 2 will be too cramped. There's only $600 dollars difference between the current 1.8 and the 2GHz machines.

You gotta be kidding me! ;) 600$ is a lot of cash for actually just having one more processor. Since the boards are designed to have one OR two processors anyway, the can just add the second processor without big trouble. As far as I understood they have a huge stockpile of 1.8GHz processors they can't get rid of as they planned to, but not enough 2GHz chips to meet demand. This would be a really smart move! At least they would people get interested in purchasing the "middle" G5 with 1.8GHz processors and therefore sell more computers overall, since the top of the line G5s will be sold out for a while anyway...

Who cares if the single 1.8GHz G5s will be sold still (if well at all anyway), if they can maybe double the sales of dual processor machines, probably outweighing the loss of single processor sales by far?

Grüße

groovebuster

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Yup, I'm not complaining if this really happens— I may just be a customer. But all of a sudden the 1.6 doesn't look as good in value.

Actually I think it never was anyway... they should have gone dual all the way (also the 1.6GHz) at the same prices they are offering now. Then they would sell machines like crazy all over the line. And considering the relatively high margin they have on their hardware it should have been possible. The plus in sales would have made more than up for the money they would have needed to scrape off for the second processor. But now for a lot of people the "little G5" (already) is not good in value for what it offers and for some of them the other G5s are just too expensive. Market share? :rolleyes:

It's weird, but Apple still has this talent to always screw up a little bit at the same time when they have a new cool product. ;)

groovebuster

Who IS getting a 1.6?

Yup, I'm not complaining if this really happens— I may just be a customer. But all of a sudden the 1.6 doesn't look as good in value.

The 1.6 NEVER looked good value - if only in comparison to the other models.

I'm not sure who would actually go for one, when they can get all that spanking new(er) tech for Just a Few Dollars More.

Oh, and I'd change my order for a dual 2.0 Gig to a dual 1.8 Gig no probs. (if there's anyone from Apple listening). As a previous poster said, it'll be more than quick enough for most people.

Cheers

Brother Mugga

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Maybe from the outset they should have had single 1.6s and 1.8s, a dual 1.8 sitting at the current dual 2.0 price point, and a three or four processor 2.0 GHz workstation for about 5 grand. Last time i checked the G4s at the Apple store there was $300 difference between a single and a dual processor machine of the same specs. Would Apple really throw in an extra 1.8 GHz G5 processor for $150? Even if dual 1.8 machines are released, they will cost a bit more than MB is suggesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.