Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac Released

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released a new Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac today. The new model introduces a second dual G5 configuration to the PowerMac line.

The new PowerMac offers Dual 1.8GHz G5, 900MHz Frontside Bus, 512MB DDR400 SDRAM, Superdrive, and NVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

The new PowerMac G5 product line:

Single 1.6GHz PowerMac - $1799 (from $1999)
Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac - $2499 (new)
Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac - $2999 (Unchanged)

The Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 was first rumored in July. The new dual model was rumored to shift some demand from the popular 2.0GHz processors.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
That would be my choice of PowerMacs now. It's the best value in my opinion. (So there isn't a single 1.8 GHz anymore. Hmmm.)

Now if they only lower the prices on the LCDs, I'll be ready to make the leap to the "Pro" line.
Squire

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Interesting move. Comparing the features, the Dual 2.0 comes out quite badly in the value for money department. I wonder how that will affect sales of the high end model?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
see the press releases linked from the main articles. Apple's site is still updating.

arn

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hmmm...

Any changes on the single 1.6 G5, or are people going actually going to have a shot back at $200 from the Apple Store this time on VERY recently shipped units?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
This is what the Powermac line-up should have been from day one. The new configuration will likely be the most popular model. It is such good value for the performance it offers.

Kamu-San

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2003
The Netherlands
Thanks Arn!

De Dual 1.8 GHz sounds really nice, too bad I just bought a 15.2" PB. Not that the dual would be a good replacement, but I can't spend my money twice...

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Can one say 2.5GHz by January for the top end?

While some seem to think that this is to take pressure off the top end I don't believe it. First there isn't a great deal of differrence in performance for single threaded applications with the old configurations. Second I can't really believe that the 2GHz 970 is that hard to come buy that they need to take presure off the top of the line model. Nope, in my opinion they are getting ready for a faster top of the line model, which will put the 2X 1.8 GHZ SMP machine squarely in the middle.

Now clearly it is open to speculation as to how fast this new machine is to run. It does seem like apple will need to hit 2.5 GHz or better in the January time frame to keep pace with there public commitments of 3GHz in a year.

Thanks
Dave

Originally posted by Belly-laughs
The dual 2,0 is ready for an upgrade as it no longer has clear advantages over the next in line.

Any time now. Any time!

wymer100

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Sol
This is what the Powermac line-up should have been from day one. The new configuration will likely be the most popular model. It is such good value for the performance it offers.
That's probably why Apple waited until now. Had Apple released these models, the dual 1.8 probably would have been the most popular model. By waiting, the dual 2.0 was the best seller. Apple was able to squeeze an extra couple of hundred dollars out of the early adopters.

I'm surprised the single 1.8 wasn't at least a BTO option on the lowend model. There's a pretty big jump in price from low to midrange products. Offer an upgrade for an extra $300 and make most of that in profit. Plus, those sales have to go through the online store, which we know Apple likes.:p

neeotronik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2003
I don't think this was done to curb the demand for the dual 2ghz g5's. Is there a demand?!?

It was inevitable; before the mac g5 surfaced; the G4 line was exactly the same;
Lower end model was single processor (with option to build you could have added a second processor) and the mid and high end models were dual processor.

Good move on apple's part; not great!
Wizard (dave) nailed it: First there isn't a great deal of differrence in performance for single threaded applications with the old configurations.

All that apple has done is optimize their killer apps.
Don't get me wrong; The G5 is a great computer but I dont see a need right now for 64 bit pci-x computing.

I will admit that if the dual 1.8 was priced at 1999 I would get one hands down. That's 499 cheaper than what it's priced at and 299 cheaper for the educational discount.
That'll never happen though. Until then enjoy the optimized apps and raw power that can't be fully utilized just yet.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Originally posted by Sol
Not quite. As I understood Apple's strategy they had 1.8DP ready for day one, but did wait with the launch as long as the top model sold as fast as the can make them.
Only after the demant started to drop they introduced a new sweet spot. Apple collected a lot of dollars with 2.0 model. I think that we'll see 2.2 or 2.5 introduced very soon and 1.6 model dropped so that entire line will stay DP.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by neeotronik
I don't think this was done to curb the demand for the dual 2ghz g5's. Is there a demand?!
The Dual 2.0 is selling extraidonarily well. I heard from internal sources that they expected it to sell half the number of units in the first 3 months that it eventually did.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
nice addition to the powermac line, perhaps setting the pace to all dual configs for the pro's? perhaps early next year they will have dual 1.8 2.0 and 2.5? they need this so they can do a consumer line with single g5's in em. that 1.25 g4 imac is a dog right now. how many years of moto stagnation will apple keep partaking in? a 1.25 g4 would be good for emac but not imac and what they charge. the pro tower line is shaping up and getting better all the time.

happo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
Finland
My order for PowerMac single 1.8GHz was updated to DUAL 1.8GHz. The price remained the same. :D

Now, I'm actually happy they kept postponing my order. :p

-happo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.