Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm having major issues with my computer. First of all, it all of a sudden decided to be operating at snail speeds. I think that the problem is HD related, but repairing permissions did nothing. I downloaded a song from the iTMS and when I looked at the Process Viewer, it said that iTunes was eating 80%! I have run out of ideas and would appreciate any help.

iDVD is not opening my project. It opens all other projects except for the one that I need. It gets half way throught Loading Project then the application unexpectadly quits. I need to make some copies of a DVD (I have already made a few). Is there a way to use Disk Copy to make a whole bunch without iDVD and still get them to play in DVD players? I have no idea how to do this, so if it is possible, please tell me step by step.

Thank you for any advice that might lead me to solving my problems.

P-Worm

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: Dual 1 Ghz incredibly slow. iDVD won't launch my project.

>I need to make some copies of a DVD (I have already made a few). (P-Worm)

Grab a copy of Toast and a second DVD-ROM drive. If need be, use another computer with a DVD drive. Hook it up to your computer. Put the DVD you want to copy in one of the DVD drives, and put the blank disk into the DVD-RW drive (i.e. Superdrive). Open up Toast and run Disk Copy.

If you have the exact DVD data on your computer, use Toast to burn your project to a blank DVD disk.

I'm not too sure if Toast will let you run DVDs from a standard DVD player as a burned disk from iDVD.

Also, exactly what version of OS X is on your computer? How much RAM do you have in it? When was the last time you refreshed your machine?

Have you tried reinstalling iDVD to see if that fixes the problem?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If you can find a program for download on the internet to do a perfect disk copy, consider yourself lucky.

In the meantime, I have posted questions.

You could also ask your intended questions at TheTechPub.com (register first) for better advice.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Some Suggestions

Hey there:

I would run Disk Warrior on your Mac. It sounds like something that happened to mine after I deleted a TON of files: the Finder was slow and iTunes was chocling. What probably happened is that the HD directory was damaged. I ran Disk Warrior and everything was fine.

About your DVD's: I am positive iDVD will work after you build an optimized directory. But I agree that Toast is the best option. You do not even need a secondary DVD-ROM drive. Just insert your DVD, click on "copy" and Toast will cache the DVD to it's default cache folder (you can change it, like to another HD). When it finishes, it will ask you to insert a blank DVD and voila, a copy! And of course they play as well as your iDVD-made one. I only make the initial DVD with iDVD. Any copies I need, I use Toast. If you do not have Disk Warrior 3.0 or Toast Titanium, get them: it will cost you under 200 dollars but they are VERY helpful; especially if you are authoring DVD's: a process that is very HD intensive; besides, the built-in capabilities of OS X (and 9) are inferior to Toast. There is some Beta software out there that uses the built-in UNIX ccdr(?) disk-burning capabilities that are built-in to OS X; but, beware, they are in Beta and the UI is not too friendly. Do a search for "disc burning' at VersionTracker.com/macosx. Good Luck!

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, I guess I'll order Toast. Because I need the DVD's now, I'll temporarily steal the program, but I'm going to buy it, so I see no harm.

As for the other problem, I empteid the trash and it went away. :confused: As long as I have my computer back to the way it was. ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

P-Worm

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
wait!

before you steal toast, you can make an image of the DVD in disc copy in your utilities folder, and from there, once you have the image, you can just burn the image from the file menu in disc copy.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: wait!

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
before you steal toast, you can make an image of the DVD in disc copy in your utilities folder, and from there, once you have the image, you can just burn the image from the file menu in disc copy.

I tried that, but it didn't play in my player. What settings did you use, DVD Master?

P-Worm

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I'd agree, just use disk copy, making an image from device (not volume). CD/DVD master is the best setting. (and it gives you a free partial defrag at the same time, since, IIRC, it clears the space on the HD to hold the CD/DVD data contiguously to avoid buffer underrun).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.