Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaNChEzZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
So I got this PC from work, and it was used on a daily basis by customers (Anywhere from somebody that doesn't know what a mouse is to graphic designers) I bring it home, go buy a copy of OSX and try to install that to remove the stupid work software.

Upon rebooting it at home, I get the grey screen either blank, with a folder and finder face on it, or a folder with finder face, that changes to a question mark. What does this mean and how can I fix it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also I've tried: New ram, New HDD, PRAM reset, cmos clear, pretty much everything. And I can't figure out how to remove the CD-ROM itself. (Not the disk, the whole enchilada)

Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, it can't find the System Folder for some reason. You can either start up holding OPTION to be shown a list of possible System Folders (and you might be able to then select the hard drive from a splash screen), or as Jasonbot wisely says, you could boot from the OSX discs by holding C at startup when the discs are in the optical drive. It might be a good idea to do a complete reformat (with Disk Utility on the OSX discs) and reinstall since it's a used machine. :)

SaNChEzZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, I've tried all that. Tried C, Tried Shift, Tried option, tried cmd+opt+P+R tried every key combo in the book, and still nothing. I got a bit of advice to try to boot from an external CD rom, but I know this one works because I used it at work :p

Thanks for all the info, I'm gunna try what I've done once more, and if that doesn't work external CD-rom is next.

SaNChEzZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Okay, so by some act of god, I held option while booting last night, and viola it worked. It booted up to the password screen (HUGE lock and arrow) Luckily I am the IT guy for work, so I have a list of passwords, one of them being the firmware password.

I am posting from the mac right now, and would like to thank you guys for the input. Have a good day, and no I don't know how to use this thing (Yet :p)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Excellent work. To make sure this doesn't happen again (hopefully), head to System Preferences and in the Startup Disk section, select the Mac OSX folder on your hard drive. :)

SaNChEzZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Awesome, thanks again guys. I was lolin @ your name, btw. Being Jewish myself I got a good laugh!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Haha, thanks mate. :D

Having said all that, it might be a good idea to do a system reinstall. As with any used machine, it's good to get a fresh start. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.