Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac Shipments

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Despite scattered reports of Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac shipments in mid July, Appleinsider claims that mass shipments of the latest PowerMac are due to begin this Friday (July 30th).

    The initial shipment, however, is expected to be "quite limited" according to the rumor site... however, on a positive note, Apple is expected to also ship at least a limited number of the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics cards alongside the new machines as well.
  2. GroundLoop macrumors 68000


    Mar 21, 2003
    YAY! Hopefully mine will be in one of the first shipments.
  3. jason3142 macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2004
    Dual 2.5Ghz & 30" Monitor on order

    If the 2.5Ghz machines are soon to be delivered, including some new graphics cards, can we take it that the 30" monitors are not far behind?

    I have an order with apple for 2 x 30", 2 x Graphics card and 1 x 2.5 G5 and they wont get shipped until all is ready :eek:(
  4. .a macrumors regular

    Dec 5, 2001
    waitingtime in switzerland ...
    two days ago i ordered a dual g5 2.5 with 6800 nvidia, two airport express and a 17" powerbook ... i think i'll get this stuff in september, won't i?
  5. iProbot macrumors member


    Jul 16, 2004
  6. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO
    weeeee......i posted about the credit card company makeing an authoriziation/pending charge to my account for an apple computer yesterday!
  7. Fall macrumors member

    Nov 29, 2002
  8. jason3142 macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2004
    Yea they have taken the money from our card, but that includes the cost of the monitors (30") so perhaps they are on the way.

    I had an email to say that my express is on its way, even though the estimated shipping date was not until the middle of august, its good to see Apple are being pessimistic with there delivery dates. Or am I being too optimistic?
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6


    Jun 4, 2003
    Although I didn't order one myself, this is great news! I feel happy for all of you who have been patiently (and many impatiently :p) waiting for these beasts to ship. :cool:
  10. g4cubed macrumors 6502a


    Jun 2, 2004
    Why 2 graphics cards? :confused: 1 card will run both of the 30" displays. Hope you didn't throw $600 out a window for an extra card you didn't need. But I was just wondering.
  11. madamimadam macrumors 65816


    Jan 3, 2002
    Is anything at all shipping atm?

    Saying that, my AP Express is pretty cool but I was lucky to get that
  12. milointeractive macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2004
    My fingers are crossed for the Dual 1.8

    We ordered 18 of the new 1.8 DP models on July 2, 2004. The ship date has been pushed back four times now. I am told that the 30th (tomorrow) is our ship date too. Our rep told me that IBM can't make the G5 Chip fast enough to keep up with demand. We'll see what happens!

    - Patrick
  13. NainoKami macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2004
    UK, London
    God I hope they ship soon in the UK... Ordered mine 06-JUL-2004... 2.5GHz, 2GB DDR, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, and to top it off a 23" Cinema display! :) CAN'T WAIT! This machine is going to be a wonder-machine for my music... Now all I need is a world class studio to go with it... :D

    Have anyone here on the forums from the UK received anything?

    Cheers Nai
  14. DWKlink macrumors regular

    Nov 18, 2003
    New York, NY
    The G5 only supports one AGP card - so if you got 2 6800s then only one will work. I don't even think the order page will let you get more than one, so I'm hoping this is just a mistake.
  15. maharajah macrumors member

    Jul 22, 2002
    So...the mass shipments are expected to be quite limited :rolleyes:
  16. mingisback macrumors regular

    May 21, 2003
    United States
    as others have pointed out. only one card is needed to power both monitors.

    i believe his order is nuthin more than a pile of BS.
  17. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Or he's already got an older G5 and wants to upgrade to the 30" monitor?
  18. DaveClarkOne macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2004

    Yeah, this missed the editor's review. It would have been more accurate to say "limited supply to ship massively this Friday.."

    Does it give anyone pause that the delays are caused by IBM issues with the chip? Makes one wonder about reliability issues with those early machines...

  19. BWhaler macrumors 68020


    Jan 8, 2003
    Screw the shipping date. Seriously.

    And yes, I've been waiting for my order too.

    But I would GLADLY wait another month if Apple needs it to get the quality right.

    When I see the issues in previous PowerMacs with the wind tunnels, loud fans, and the D1.8 issues--still impacting people today--with noisy machines, machines that won't wake, kernal panic city, etc., I will gladly wait for Apple to get it right.

    I just spent 6 grand. 6 grand.

    On a computer.

    And at that price, this machine has to last me for many years. I want it to be perfect, so I don't mind a delay or two.
  20. jason3142 macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2004

    As pointed out by others I have an 'old' 2Ghz G5 for the second monitor/graphics card :p
  21. a_kim macrumors member

    Jun 28, 2002

    So does this mean we'll see 10.3.5 in Software Update today or tomorrow (since the new Macs supposedly run 10.3.5)? Or will the G5s simply have a different build of 10.3.5 installed on them?
  22. brykken macrumors regular

    Jun 7, 2004
    Augusta, GA
    I don't know that it means either. I may still have 10.3.4.
  23. Jagooah macrumors newbie


    Jun 24, 2004
    Well, I'm still waiting for my 2.0GHz...

    I ordered my puny 2.0GHz Power Mac on July 5, and I am still without a computer... So my heart does not feel too sad for all you cutting edge people who have stretched all the way to the 2.5GHz. Anyway, the delay over here in Europe is apparently due to the fact that Apple does not have enough Bluetooth modules for the Power Macs. This is a big bummer because my Apple center is now closed until August 18 (most of France shuts down in August... A very odd place...) which means that I am macless for three more weeks... Serves me right for wanting a non-standard configuration I suppose. :(
  24. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

    Jul 15, 2004
    It could be awhile before you see 10.3.5 in Software Update even if it comes on the new dual 2.5 G5's. There's been times when a new version of MacOS has shipped on new Macs and not been seen by Mac Users in Software Update for weeks after. Sometimes they don't even release the update (the update is specifically for the new Mac sometimes).
  25. donaldfleming macrumors newbie

    May 11, 2004
    Send them all to Europe

    Did you know that a 2.5Ghz cost 2199 Pounds Sterling, thats 3986.79 U.S Dollars, Americans get it for 2999 U.S. It doesn't take a genius to figure thats a 987.78 US dollar (544.83 quid) saving in America. If apple sends them all to europe they'll be quids in.
    May mine be the first machine off the production line that works correctly.

Share This Page