Dual 27" iMacs vs TDM? And a bit about iMac for photo work. (surprisingly good)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eoren1, Jan 7, 2015.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2007
    I currently have a mid-2011 27" iMac that I use mostly for photography. I've been quite pleased with it and had been running an old NEC 20" monitor as a second screen for web browsing.

I recently purchased the ASUS PA249Q with 99% Adobe RGB coverage to use as a second monitor and to proof images before printing. This was largely on the advice of a fellow photographer who disliked the iMac screen for color accurate work and I figured it was time to update the 7 year old NEC.

I calibrated both with the i1display and was surprised at how closely the iMac matched the new monitor - really quite subtle difference in color temp but that was it. I decided to order prints from my lab to see how the images on screen compared to the final product.

I opened the same images in PS on both monitors. When clicking 'Proof Colors' on the iMac and using Adobe RGB, the colors shifted a lot and not to a good place. The Asus had almost no shift.

BUT, the monitors (with Proof Colors unchecked) were remarkably close to each other and to the final prints!

With that in mind, I am now thinking of sending the Asus back to Amazon as it is returnable within 30 days and using the 2011 iMac as a secondary monitor vs computer when I purchase the retina iMac later this year (waiting on Rev B).

I considered using the 2011 iMac in TDM with the retina iMac but, if I understand it correctly, I cannot use any of the 2011 iMac ports to send data via TB to the retina iMac.

I'm now thinking a better setup is dual 27" iMacs. The 2011 would be for web browsing or spreadsheet use (essentially what I use the current second monitor for). The retina would be primary. This way I can use the old iMac's superdrive instead of purchasing a stand alone one.

Any thoughts on whether it makes sense to run these independently or is there a smarter way to use TDM with the above setup? With TDM, could I still use the iMac's superdrive via the retina iMac? Could the 2011 iMac's 1TB internal drive be used as a glorified Time Machine backup for other devices in the house?

2. goMac macrumors 603

Apr 15, 2004
    I'm pretty sure you CAN use the Retina iMac in combination with your iMac. The Retina iMac just needs to be the host computer, with the 2011 iMac acting as a display.

You would not be able to use the disk and superdrive as far as I know.
  3. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2007
    I've been reading more about this setup and trying to figure out if I'm right:

Retina 27" iMac connected to mid-2011 27" iMac
    Both are turned on and work independently of each other
    - I can use the 2011 iMac superdrive using the Remote Disk service

When I want to extend the Retina screen, I press CMD-F2

I should now have two 27" screens run by the retina iMac AND a headless 27" 2011 iMac...