Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Dual 800, 1GHz and 1.2GHz Cube

Phaedrus

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Ohio
Nice

These processor upgrades for the Cube are so tempting. I've wanted a cube for some time now, but every time a reseller offers a batch of refurbed cubes I just don't seem to have the $. Oh well, there's always ebay--no warranty though.

Comment

Dj Kioto

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Cube or Stylish toaster?

dont the new DPs put out tremendous amounts of heat??... are they still moto chips?... or another PPC maker (enlighten me)

I know the power supply for the cube is seperate, but does the cube vent enough heat to let the processors run cool enough?

also... where the heck do they put another processor! (jk) There's little room in there already

it's good to know about these upgrades, and please do give us a name of a vendor that sells refurbed cubes.... I would LOVE to get one and add a DP upgrade to it....

also, do they offer ANY video card upgrades for the cue, or is it still stuck at the older radeons?

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow
..........droooooooolls........

Why oh why am I broke and cubeless?

wait, i thought you made a screen capture
of your mac desktop the other day...but didnt
you tell me you didnt have a mac?

your waiting to get a cube right?

Comment

Phaedrus

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Ohio
Heat: The processor upgrades include a fan, which the cube was designed to accomodate, though Apple did not include one.

Graphics: You can uprgrade to a GeForce 3, if you like.

For these and other related issues: http://www.cube-zone.com

Comment

RandomMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2002
Heh...

When these come out, I would love to see pictures of the melted interior and possibly exterior of the cherished, modified cubes.

Seriously, I don't know if there is enough room in a cube for some of these upgrades. I mean, these fast dualies generate a lot of heat and you need a fan or a huge heatsink or at least a lot of room for the heat to dissipate and the cube doesn't have any of these things (IIRC).

Thoughts?

Comment

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
re: beatle888

Well, I was waiting, but this Blueberry iBook came up for sale for a pretty good price and a laptop would be really handy for me in the near future so........

Still want one though, even now that I'm broke even more. Ah well.

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: re: beatle888

Originally posted by edvniow
Well, I was waiting, but this Blueberry iBook came up for sale for a pretty good price and a laptop would be really handy for me in the near future so........

Still want one though, even now that I'm broke even more. Ah well.

OOHHHH, well congratulations! :)
do you like it? is it fast enough for you AND
can you run jaguar on it?

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Heat was my first thought too. I have a DP 1ghz QS and she kicks out some major heat.

Lethal

Can you feel it on the outside of the case? I have a G4 500 Graphite and it's always positively cold. The cubes used to get quite warm though, at the same speeds. Must the be the killer heatsink.

I need a newer mac - save on the heating bills here in northern england!

Comment

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Coolness to the Power of 3...

I know some don't like the Apple Cube, but I like the concept of the uniqueness of it.

I've always wondered exactly how the Cube started at Apple Computer Inc., and it's history there. I know about the NeXt cube a little, but it would be interesting to hear from someone in the know about this unique and interesting part of our collective (Apple Community) history.

Powerlogix may just have created a Cube customer... isn't that funny that the second hand cube market might heat up!!!

:cool:

Comment

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am SO tempted to go out and find a dual 1.2Ghz CUBE!! Wow, I like the idea of that.

Comment

Wickedkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2002
I actually have one myself. It's 1ghz, with 1.5gb of ram, a radeon 8500, 120gb wd caviar with a 8mb cache, and its not that hot at all.

It's got a panaflow fan in it that manages to keep things quite cool in addition to the fan that is on the radeon.

True it might not be silent but its quite novel having a 1ghz cube downstairs and then a 500mhz one upstairs in the bedroom.

Comment

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
For the people wondering how they get 2 processors into the cube- they are verticle (If I remember right) so non-used space is used. Next is the heat- I am sapposing with the new cards they have to use less power- thus less heat and anyway you have the fan which with the cubes great design for convection makes it very capable of releasing heat. Question to the guy with the 8500 in the cube- How much better is the speeds etc. with games? and did you have to do the mod for the board and/or case?

Comment

Ateazz

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2002
Amsterdam
I'm very curious about that as wel, Darknova.
I'm very happy with the standard Radeon inside.
But an 8500waouw.

greetz

Ateazz

Comment

Wickedkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by DarkNovaMatter
For the people wondering how they get 2 processors into the cube- they are verticle (If I remember right) so non-used space is used. Next is the heat- I am sapposing with the new cards they have to use less power- thus less heat and anyway you have the fan which with the cubes great design for convection makes it very capable of releasing heat. Question to the guy with the 8500 in the cube- How much better is the speeds etc. with games? and did you have to do the mod for the board and/or case?

actually I'm a girl but nm.

Most people actually file off a corner of the card to be able to fit it in but instead we just took a dremel tool and filed a tiny wee bit out of the chassis itself so it can also fit any gf upgrades that might come out. Here's a pic of it.

Had to make a new face plate as well for the radeon since there was no place for svideo out and heres a pic of that

it's up to par with pc speed when it comes to running programs and things and actually the 1.5gb of ram didn't speed it up all that much more since we have the l3 cache on the cpu turned on as well

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
I've just won an AGP 32MB Radeon on eBay - would this work in a Cube?

What card did they come with originally?

Hamish

Comment

Wickedkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by gotohamish
I've just won an AGP 32MB Radeon on eBay - would this work in a Cube?

What card did they come with originally?

Hamish

It originally came with a gf2mx but you can use a radeon, you just need one with a fan i think.

Comment

Bandit

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
You can also check out http://www.cubeowner.com They offer advise and news on everything cube related. They also have a nice support forum. I have a stock 450mhz cube with 768MB RAM and 120GB Hard drive. I absolutely love it. I run Jaguar on it and it flies compare to my Graphite iBook. I've been saving my pennies for awhile for a dual processor upgrade. Plus now that there is a slot loading superdrive, if they ever came out with an upgrade I could have a dual 1.2 that could burn DVD's and any PCs out of the water. I have a friend that is a PC guy and he loves my cube. He was surprised at how upgradable they are and how easy it was. (Pulling the enclosure from the case really wowed him.) My only complaint is that there is not a video card out that will fit in the cube that allows dual apple flat screens. I have a 15" studio display and would love to buy another to put side by side.

Comment

Wickedkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by Bandit
You can also check out http://www.cubeowner.com They offer advise and news on everything cube related. They also have a nice support forum. I have a stock 450mhz cube with 768MB RAM and 120GB Hard drive. I absolutely love it. I run Jaguar on it and it flies compare to my Graphite iBook. I've been saving my pennies for awhile for a dual processor upgrade. Plus now that there is a slot loading superdrive, if they ever came out with an upgrade I could have a dual 1.2 that could burn DVD's and any PCs out of the water. I have a friend that is a PC guy and he loves my cube. He was surprised at how upgradable they are and how easy it was. (Pulling the enclosure from the case really wowed him.) My only complaint is that there is not a video card out that will fit in the cube that allows dual apple flat screens. I have a 15" studio display and would love to buy another to put side by side.

can you give the link to the place that sells slot loading superdrives please?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.