Dual band Aiport Extreme + Old "UFO" Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Edgtire, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Edgtire macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have been looking for a while and I didn't find any information.
    I have a dual band airport extreme that I use as my main wireless point for my 2 n-enabled macbooks pro and I got and old emac hookup by Ethernet cable to the same base station (everything on the second floor of my house) , and I'm trying to connect an old airport extreme "UFO" to my xbox (first floor of my house). Can I extend my "g" network if so, how do i do it (I need step by step help)???how do i recognize the old base station??what will happened with the speed on the house??will it be affected???
    Thanks.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Not the most reliable connection for your XBOX but it should work. Use the Airport Utility on your Mac and configure the UFO AE to extend the network already created by your principle base station. You may also need to use Airport Utility to make this OK with your principle base station.

3. Edgtire thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ... I tried yesterday and I couldn't make it work, I will try to make it happen today ...

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Anything in life worth doing is going to be very difficult... but it can be done. Search this site and the rest of the web for detailed instructions.

5. Edgtire thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it done!!! ... I got 3 networks: 5ghz n / 2.4ghz g and guest, the one 2.4ghz g extended as "WDS" with the old extreme, I know it kills my speed, but it works!!! ... do you know any other way???
    thanks ...

6. HoppyToad macrumors newbie

Hidden Option

Maybe this will help: When setting up your 2-channel base station with AirPort Utility v. 5.5, hold down the option key before selecting "wireless mode" and choose "Participate in a WDS network." Then the two base stations should be able to talk to one another on the same network. Why Apple hid this option is beyond me.