Dual-core A5 chip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rob Douglas, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Rob Douglas macrumors newbie

I know that the 4s has the new A5 dual core chip but, does it really run on both cores? I over heard a guy at the mall trying to talk a guy into an HTC galaxy s2 or rezound over the iPhone 4s stating that the before mentioned HTC phones are the only ones on the market truly running on a dual core processor :rolleyes:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it runs both cores ... that guy didn't know what he was talking about ... Samsung, Motorola, etc. have dual-core phones.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

iPhone on iOS = optimized

HTC on Android = Running sense bloat ware

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Apple makes the hardware and software so yeah it gets used.

5. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Why wouldn't it run on both cores? Yes it runs on both and does a preety good job at it too.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Why would Apple or any company invest money in a dual core chip and not write their software to make use of it.

Further I doubt he could cite any sources or evidence of his claim.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

An HTC galaxy s2 you say. He must be a great salesman

8. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Not sure this is a legit thread..... this is the guys first post on this forum and it's THIS post? Bogus. Looks like someone trying to start up another us v them thread.

To OP, why have dual core chip if it doesn't utilize both cores? Common sense isn't so common I guess.

9. walie macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the OP doesn't know what he's talking about either

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Or it could be a honest mistake. No one is perfect and people mix things up - especially in retail stores.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because he's a salesman, so when his lips are moving he's lying.

12. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Of course it's utilizing both cores, what sort of question is that honestly.

You can tell just by using it compared to a 4. It's not a million times faster, but it's definitely snappier.

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Or he was at a Best Buy.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

/begin car analogy

It's like having buying a car with X cylinders but no fuel gets injected into half of them.

/end car analogy

I realise there are cars that do turn off cylinders to 'save fuel', but lets keep this simple, k?

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

AFAIK iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad has had the theoretical support for multicore CPUs since iOS4. The key word is "Grand Central Dispatch"

Here's Apple's introduction:

16. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

He said it because it's easier to sell an iPhone. Infact at this point in time they pretty much sell themselves. People associate quality with apple. They believe they will get a better experience. Holding an iPhone backs that up. I'd go as far to say that salesman spends most of his time trying to talk people out of an iPhone onto other products because he gets more commission on the others.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I believe it's totally legit. I've heard dumber things come out of salespeople's mouths. Sometimes they believe it because it's what their salesmen colleagues have told them. Other times they're outright lying to steer you towards another purchase. They'll even change their stories from day to day. It all depends on what the store is trying to move that particular day, and where the highest commissions for sales targets are.

^^ This. Or, it may be a wireless reseller that doesn't sell iPhones.

18. nraudigy2, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

nraudigy2 macrumors member

The salesman also told me that the iphone 4s only uses 5MP camera

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Don't listen to salesmen. A few months ago when I bought my iPad 2 he was talking bs saying the iPad 2 had a 5MP back camera and 2MP front camera. :cool:

20. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

I think he meant HTC NEEDED a dual core with all that sense 3.x crapware.

21. matttye macrumors 601

This.

I'm just polite but firm. I say that I know what I want, and if I want any kind of extended warranty or insurance I'll ask for it before they even get a chance to try and sell it.

When I bought a 43" tv from comet I carried it out to my car myself because I know they usually try to sell you stuff when they're wheeling it out to the car. :D

22. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

In comet when they tried selling me insurance for a dyson I told him when he kept pushing "look if it breaks I'll just chuck it down the stairs and claim on the house insurance" You should have seen his face. Only time I've seen them lost for words.

Yes i was kidding. Was only way to get him off my back and just finish the sale.