dual G4 Powerbook?


dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
227
0
no way!!!

what the hell is he using to cool that thing?
even if it's perfectly cooled it would weigh an enormous amount (8-9 lbs) with the cooling
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,656
0
Kent, UK
two words:

erm... no



although, perhaps the dual 500 mhz adds up to the 1ghz powerbook that that band nerd was going on about? ;)
 

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
522
1
Dualie

Difficult technically, but what I think would be cool is a dualie powerbook with the processors mounted behind the screen with a viewing window so you could see both of them in there.
 

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
1,315
46
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Dual Processor PowerBook G4 for Mac World New York?? ! :)
I would most definitely not hold my breath for a dual processor powerbook. In laptops power usage is of incredible importance and is an area that adding a second processor would just make no sense.


blakespot
 

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
584
0
Minot, North Dakota
Hmm...

I think it might work. As Apple has stated, the G4 is going to replace the G3, and the new G4's use far less power (or so I've heard). The iBook could either move to 1GHz G3's when the PowerBooks do, or the iBook could move to G4's, and the PowerBook could move to dual G4's.
 

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
39
0
Energy Saving could easily shut down one of the two processors when not plugged into a wall. This would eliminate some of the heat and power problems a dual PowerBook would create.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Originally posted by blakespot


I would most definitely not hold my breath for a dual processor powerbook. In laptops power usage is of incredible importance and is an area that adding a second processor would just make no sense.


blakespot
this is so true

now if the laptop had this super futuristic battery that could handle that...then fine

but my guess is that a dualie g4 laptop would get less than two hours from the current battery...assuming one is running apps that use both processors at the same time

personally, i can't stand a laptop with any less than three hours on a single charge and the idea of carrying around an extra battery sucks big time

so dualie g4...fine for the future, but not right now thank you
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,849
0
Metairie, LA
can u say a load of....?

I doubt it...

The Ti heats up too, too, too much to be able to handle dual processors. Unless motorola developed a heat-resistant, low-power-drainage processor (and we all know Motorola's track record in chip development these days!)....this just seems like an idea more than a reality...
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Re: can u say a load of....?

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I doubt it...

The Ti heats up too, too, too much to be able to handle dual processors. Unless motorola developed a heat-resistant, low-power-drainage processor (and we all know Motorola's track record in chip development these days!)....this just seems like an idea more than a reality...
hey eye,

i know what you mean by hot

from my techie manuals, the hottest mobile chip ever was the now defunct amd k6-II which i have in my old pc laptop...it ran so hot that i used to use it as kind of a lapwarmer on those cold northern califrnia mornings

it is a wonder that the plastic has not melted yet and if the laptop were made out of metal, there would be lawsuits due to second degree burns... or at least anybody with a 98/99 era k6-II could turn it over after a couple or hours and cook lunch on it...hey, a real dual usage machine...i should patent it

my 366 k-II gets so hot that a techie reviewer benched a severely overheated 366 at the speed in a pentium 1 range! (i wish i saved the cnet or zd article)
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,849
0
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: can u say a load of....?

Originally posted by jefhatfield
... or at least anybody with a 98/99 era k6-II could turn it over after a couple or hours and cook lunch on it...hey, a real dual usage machine...i should patent it
is that what they mean when they say "Multi-tasking?"

:p he he he...
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
how this one for multitasking eye,

now if we wanted to heat the whole building, we could get a whole bunch of desktop 486 chips...that would do the job

now we are talking hot, and the mobile g4 is a vitual air conditioner in comparison, but it's just that laptop battery technology is still in the dark ages...so a dual g4 laptop running, let's say, 5 hours on a battery is still a myth (unless that battery weighs five pounds and we are back to 10 pound laptops):p
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
no way...

Unless they utilize some kind of active cooling system in the laptop, there is no way it can work. With the size/form factor of the TiBook, that is not all that practical. Have you seen what they did to the heat sink and such on the dual G4 500 desktop's??? Granted the chips use less power now, but I can't see them producing all that much less heat, if any.

You can forget about wearing shorts with the TiBook on your lap for any length of time. It gets hot enough to singe hair, and I have the proof of that. Even jeans are not enough sometimes, or after an hour or so.

I would like to know what the people that put these messages up on the web are smoking (the original site, not the post here) so that I can get some. Maybe that would do some other reality warping in my area... like make peecee's actually easy to use... I won't hold my breathe.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Re: no way...

Originally posted by AlphaTech
Unless they utilize some kind of active cooling system in the laptop, there is no way it can work. With the size/form factor of the TiBook, that is not all that practical. Have you seen what they did to the heat sink and such on the dual G4 500 desktop's??? Granted the chips use less power now, but I can't see them producing all that much less heat, if any.

You can forget about wearing shorts with the TiBook on your lap for any length of time. It gets hot enough to singe hair, and I have the proof of that. Even jeans are not enough sometimes, or after an hour or so.

I would like to know what the people that put these messages up on the web are smoking (the original site, not the post here) so that I can get some. Maybe that would do some other reality warping in my area... like make peecee's actually easy to use... I won't hold my breathe.
correct me if i seem wrong, but i think it actually possible for a dual g4 tibook AFTER a g5 desktop, and sometime in very late 2002 or more likely in 2003...any dual g4 tibook now is out of the question unfortunately

things come very slowly for apple and while i think the new imac was great, i could have stood to seen it come out a year or more earlier

what do you guys/gals think?
 

exbox

macrumors member
Unlikely for at least a few years

I really don't think apple will release a dual g4 powerbook. The current powerbooks already run very hot. The heat given off two chips would probably be enough to heat my house! My G4 powerbook right now burnt out its speakers because I left it on for two long!
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
No sales for reasons other than heat...

Here are some other reasons why Apple will not make a Powerbook G4 with two processors w/o the problem of heat:
(1) The current single processors in PBG4s drain the battery power in around 4 hours or less. Two processors may mean an absolute maximum of 3 hours, if the Powerbook ran 24-7.
(2) Two processors (let's say, 600MHz) would increase the price of the Powerbook dramatically.
(3) Dual processors are specially designed for the Powermacs, (I think) because Apple wants to keep the power and speed in the Powermacs. Otherwise, it may kill Powermac sales.

We probably will not see a dual G4 in the Powerbook because once Apple has the G5 standard in their PowerMacs, Apple will move them to the Powerbook.
 

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
4,297
0
secret city
Re: Unlikely for at least a few years

Originally posted by exbox
I really don't think apple will release a dual g4 powerbook. The current powerbooks already run very hot. The heat given off two chips would probably be enough to heat my house! My G4 powerbook right now burnt out its speakers because I left it on for two long!
Thats just messed up. Nothing worse than a handicapped tibook because of heat issues.

So let me ask you the obvious question.... "What exactly was this powerbook doing, when you left in on too long?....ie. programs on, jobs, whatever...and how long exaclty was it on? Im assuming you have the frist tibook model...right?
 

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
658
0
I dont think it will happen just because it isnt an apple priority.
think about it, they should catch up to PCs first.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by krossfyter
ohh... how are they lacking behind pcs?
In being royal pain's to configure... Mac laptops are a breeze compared to peecee laptops to set up for people...

Just a fact man.
 

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
4,297
0
secret city
no i believe you alpha tech... im not questioning macs puters.

spikey was just saying that the powerbooks are lacking behind pcs...i assume he was talking about speed and or quality.