dual g5 dual 2.5 quadro nvidia $1800 w/30in cinema or Mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickolasSin, Mar 17, 2008.

1. NickolasSin macrumors member

NickolasSin

My Mac just died this week... So I need to buy a new machine
    I have an offer from someone selling their dual 2.5ghz g5 with a nvidia quadro and 1gb of ram w/ a 30in cinema for 1800$

or... a mac pro... lowest I saw for a quad 2.66ghz xeon was 1899$...

I need it for daily use and Logic Pro 8...

I am so caught up between wanting the latest and the greatest but am on a strict 2200$ budget...

Also the only monitor I have is a generic 22in lcd... not apple cinema...so I would love to have one... but ugh...
    Idk

Help me out guys time is of the essence... I don't wanna miss the g5 if it's a good deal...
    I just don't want to get it and be like...ohh **** this is slow...
    I was used to my macbook pro core duo 2.0...2gb ram.. (ran over by a car, don't ask)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get the MacPro. It will be far faster on Intel-optimized programs. and it will have a warranty

The Quadro card will do exactly nothing for you on 2-d applications - it is only for specialized applications that can offload 3D / vector processing to the video card

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The mac pro is leaps and bounds a better machine. But, the current 30" Apple cinema display (aluminum) is $1500 refurb. I would say it's worth around $1200-1300 from a private seller. So, assuming there aren't any dead pixels or discoloration issues, that doesn't sound like a bad deal. I think you need to figure out what is more important to you: Are you buying the best screen with a passable computer, or the best computer (in your price range) with a passable monitor?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Buy the G5 and screen, keep the screen, sell the G5 for $1000, buy the MacPro :D

Unless of course there is something wrong with the used machine, or its a scam, in which case - cry over your lost money.

5. NickolasSin thread starter macrumors member

NickolasSin

Yeah that's what I am afraid of...
    I think I am just going to go legit and buy a Mac Pro Quad... and more ram...

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My work machine is a dual 2.5 G5. They're starting to show their age at almost 4 years and some unsubstantiated rumours are around that OS 10.6 may not even support PPC...

CanadaRAM is right, don't waste your time and money with this machine.

7. NIPRING macrumors 6502

WHAAAATT:eek::eek::eek: