Dual GHz PowerBooks released

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
That's right folks, there are now Dual 1 GHz TiBooks... unfortunately (for the rest of the world) only available in Australia!

Extract from Australian Mac World, July 2002. (Can you pick the problem? :D)

Attachments

swexplorer

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2002
Croydon, South London
what about a typo????

It seems to me that the 2x G4 was for the X Server line not for the Titanium...
Before putting 2x CPUs in Portable I'd like to se more speed... please Steve!!! ;-)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Dual processors would be nice, but considering the size of the heat sink and fan to cool my dual processor 800 MHz machine, the new PowerBook would be about 5 inches tall.

Would that be uncomfortable for typing?

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
hey .. lets see if apple asks to take this thread down.. like spymac.. heh... :p

that would be pretty neat if it was true.. how did you get a hold of this stuff?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
The price tag worries me. The price tag does not represent any price that Apple has ever released for a dual-1GHz machine (unless I'm wrong). So, why would this company post a dual-1GHz laptop for over $5,000? It just doesn't add up to be a slight mistake. I'm personally guessing that it was an employee just making a joke.

agent302

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2001
It's Australian dollars, hence the "high" price. And some of you people take everything way too literally.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by agent302
It's Australian dollars, hence the "high" price. And some of you people take everything way too literally.
No wonder you guys talk funny... :D.. If I got charged those prices, I would expect at least a kiss and some flowers after... :D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Gee guys... it's just a typo!

OK, here's the full story, since it seems some (if not all) of you guys need it all spelled out. In every edition of the magazine 'Australian Mac World,' there is a section called 'The Finder,' which is a complete list of every non-BTO Apple configuration available.

Obviously, given this is Australian Mac World, the prices are in Australian dollars. Makes sense, huh? And no, we're not paying twice what the US does! US$1 is about AU$0.56 - it's called an exchange rate :p Italians must spend x million Lira on a system, but it doesn't mean they're paying millions of times more than people in the US, now, does it? (Oh yeah, I forgot, they use the Euro now, but you get the point.)

OK, so all I did was see a typo in 'The Finder,' laughed, stuck it on my computer and put it up here. It was supposed to be funny... it is not serious! It's a typo for cryin' out loud!

And BTW, rice_web, 'this company' you are talking about is Apple itself.
Apple Systems. All prices and specifications are taken from www.apple.com.au/store at press time (mid June).
OK, you guys get it now? Just repeat 'typo, typo, typo, typo' until you do! :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Beej
Gee guys... it's just a typo!

OK, you guys get it now? Just repeat 'typo, typo, typo, typo' until you do! :p
yeah, that's pretty obvious beej, but think of the potential if you went to the dark side........:D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by dukestreet
yeah, that's pretty obvious beej, but think of the potential if you went to the dark side........:D
What? Did I say typo? I meant to say that this is for real! I was talking to this guy in an Apple Store the other day, and I actually got to use one!

loicl

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
france (orsay)
Originally posted by G4scott
I saw a CompUSA ad that had an Airport base station for only $99, and the Airport card for $299 :eek:
I think if it appens in France, sellers cant refuse you to buy a base station for 99$ if you show them the ad. Maybe you could jump on that.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by loicl
I think if it appens in France, sellers cant refuse you to buy a base station for 99$ if you show them the ad. Maybe you could jump on that.
Maybe if the Dual GHz PB ad was in French MacWorld we could force Apple to make us one? :D:D:D:D

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68030
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
$99 Airport Base Station

Here in the US, the store put disclaimers on their ads saying they are not responsible for mistakes in the ad, but in the store, they have to give you the price on the item even if it is wrong.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Spastics

Hey guys,

I live in Australia, it was just a stuff up in our macworld.... I think it has the worse editors in the world...

Take for instance, after we closed down one of our stores, they continued printing it in the mac world for 5 months.... Not to mention Apple are bad at this as well... they were still refering customers to this closed down store up until last month... we closed it in August....