Dual Independent Monitor Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snrlax, Feb 20, 2014.

1. snrlax macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new macbook pro retina and 2 external dell monitors and was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to buy to be able to run dual independent monitors? I would like to have different backgrounds on both monitors and want to be able to drag different pages accross both screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

----------

Oh sorry forgot to add that the dell monitors only have vga and dvi ports

2. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

I have a similar setup with dual 23" widescreen Dell IPS monitors. They are hooked up to both of the Thunderbolt ports on my 13" rMBP (via Thunderbolt to DVI connectors). VGA is the older analog signal and probably shouldn't even be included on modern monitors.

You could also connect one monitor via Thunderbolt and the other via HDMI. Either will work fine. Many even prefer to have a Thunderbolt port available to connect external drives and other peripherals to.

The reason I use both Thunderbolt ports for my monitors is because they are both on the left side of the laptop, and therefore by arranging one monitor to my left, the other facing me, and my laptop on my right, I have a natural concave formation and have full access to 3 screens. The cables are very seamless and out of the way.

OSX Mavericks is meant to be used on multiple screens and each monitor will automatically be independent unless otherwise specified. Just go to 'system preferences' then 'displays' and then select the arrangement that best suits you for your setup. All it takes is dragging your cursor from one screen to the next. The integration is incredible.

If you run both monitors with your laptop in clamshell mode, it must be plugged in and charging. Otherwise you can run on battery as long as your laptop is open.

3. snrlax thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i must have been doing it wrong the first time. I had 2 thunderbolt to dvi chords and my images were mirrored when i hooked them up. Same image on my laptop screen and monitors. So i just have to change a setting?

4. SBA macrumors member

Go to System Preferences --> Displays and make sure 'Mirroring' is unchecked. Should be good to go from there.

5. snrlax thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help im gonna go buy 2 thunderbolt to dvi adapters and see if it works

6. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I thought you just said you were using a thunderbolt to dvi? :D

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yeah, wait, what? You said what's how you had it running and if you weren't running it that way, what's wrong with how you are doing it? Very odd. :D

8. snrlax thread starter macrumors newbie

oh sorry i had the thunderbolt to dvi before and returned it because it didnt work for me the first time. I wasnt sure if i had the correct settings though. Right now i just have my 2 monitors on my desk with nothing connected to them. Im gonna pick up 2 more cables today to see if i can get it to work now. I thought i had to buy that dualhead2go thing but thought i would ask on this forum first. sorry for the confusion

9. snrlax thread starter macrumors newbie

The regular apple brand mini display to dvi adapters should be fine?