Dual Intel X25-M 160GB SSD drives (RAID 0) in unibody MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by echeng, Apr 22, 2009.

1. echeng macrumors newbie

echeng

Hey guys. I just benchmarked my new UMBP17 with two Intel X25-M 160GB SSD drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Thought you might be interested in the results!

I'm getting sequential reads of over 530MB/s, and the random performance is fantastic as well -- although, it isn't as good as it was when I did testing with SLC-based drives like the MTRON MSD 3000.

Full write-up at:
    http://echeng.com/journal/2009/04/1...rives-macbook-pro-17-unibody/#comment-3018525

2. tm.chen macrumors member

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not only that, Vertex does great in multi-tasking situations as well. They might not have high random IOPS that Intels have, but they are certainly still faster than any HD there is.

The idea of comparing Vertex to Jmicron SSD and use that an excuse not to get it is retarded, plain and simple. This dude didn't do enough research.

But Intel X25-M in Raid0 setup, is frigging awesome. That's I would do if I had a unibody. Probably will go with Intel 320GB or Vertex II in RAID0 next year when I get a new MBP.

5. echeng thread starter macrumors newbie

echeng

Oops. You guys are totally right. I did read that the Vertex uses the Indilinx controller, but had a brainfart when writing the article (and after purchasing the Intel).

"This dude" did his research and decided on the Intel... but failed to write about it accurately.

Still, I thought I'd share the benchmarks.

By the way, for me, the final decision came down to random reads and writes. This is the article that made my decision for me:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3535&p=3

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

resurrecting thread

why does your xbench only score 239, which is about the same speed as the single drive?

im about to do this with 2x80gb intels.