Dual mics in the 2015 MBA. Better quality or just plain stereo recording?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by brdeveloper, Apr 28, 2015.

1. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The title says everything. I'm just wondering if the dual mics in the 2015 MBA can help reducing distortion when recording gigs or rehearsals.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

I assume they're for noise cancellation since they're not in appropriate locations for stereo recording.

3. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I wonder if it uses some approach like the one found on some Lumia smartphones (high amplitude audio capture). That feature is really nice... I record rehearsals and gigs with nearly zero distortion. Would be nice having a computer with the same capability.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Not sure what you mean by distortion... ?

Noise cancellation is very different from any kind of audio distortion.

5. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Distortion (clipping) I mean the effect when you get from a low dynamic range recording. That is, opening the waveform in an audio editor it looks trimmed at both top and bottom segments.

6. djippy macrumors newbie

I doubt that those mics can take hi spl...

It will clip/distort if what you record is loud. (I might be wrong... never tried that since I do have external sound interface/mics.)

Just buy one, bring it to the rehearsal studio and try it.

(I could try with my 2014 mba as well, but I never had to do that) If you really want me to try, I could.

7. motrek macrumors 68020

That's to do with the dynamic range of a microphone. Having two microphones isn't going to help you with that.

8. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Unless the microphones have slightly different membranes like the ones found in Lumia phones, which use 4 microphones (2 for capturing high amplitudes, 2 for capturing low amplitudes) providing high dynamic range capture. My question is if the dual microphones found in the Macbooks (Air or Pro) have some similar approach for providing mono HDR capture.

9. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh okay. I didn't know it had 4 microphones. I have no idea if the MBA has anything similar but my guess would be no. I assume both microphones are the same, and they just added the 2nd microphone for noise cancellation. But I don't know.