Dual Monitor Display Gimped - Dock & Apple Menu Missing - Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MatthewHaak, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MatthewHaak macrumors newbie

When using a dual monitor setup is there a way to get both the dock and apple menu on both monitors? This was never much of an issue in the past because my second monitor was never that big or I did not use the feature that much.

I want the Apple Menu and the Dock to show up on both displays.

Basically one of the monitors is always going to be an extension of the main desktop sans the apple menu and dock. I know that I can easily move the apple menu and dock between monitors but I have not found a way to have them on both.

I just got a 32 inch HD screen and scrolling back and forth between screens to simply open and app or access a much needed menu is getting old.

I was hoping that 10.5's Spaces would help the problem but it does not. I was hoping that Spaces would treat the external monitor as a separate space but it does not.

Also Mirroring the displays defeats the purpose of having two displays (for me).

Has anyone found a command line hack or a program that would fix this. I have spent a considerable amount of time over the last 2 weeks looking for a solution to this to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt

BTW - I seem to recall that the apple menu showed up when using a dual monitor setup way back in the day with ox 8 & 9 but that is ancient history now (and I could be wrong it was a long time ago).

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

No, I don't believe you can have two Docks and two menu bars at the same time. (And never could. BUT you can have one screen mirror the other. Then both are identical--giving you no increase in work space.)

3. MatthewHaak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply. That pretty much confirms what we have already figured out.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Is there a piece of shareware software or a command line hack that you know of (or anyone) that could fix this?

This could be a nice little pet project for any Hackerz out there. It would really improve the usability of Leopard for tons of people.

- Matt

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Maybe a hack could simply move the dock and menu bar when you change screens, in a similar way to how System Prefs does now.