Dual monitor for a brand new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cdumitru78, May 7, 2008.

1. Cdumitru78 macrumors member

Is it possible to have a dual monitor set up with this laptop? I have two new Dell 20.1 inch monitors and I was wondering if I can still use them. I know I can use one of them with the Macbook display, but using both would be nicer. Basically, I would like to be able to use the two Dell monitors and simply close the lid on my Macbook and use the Apple bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

Is this even possible, and if so what additional hardware would I need to get?

Thanks for the help...

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The macbook only supports a single screen by default. You'd need something like the Matrox DualHead2Go, which splits the DVI output into two to do what you're asking. There are also a handful of USB > DVI video converters which might do what you need, although you'll have to hunt for one with Mac drivers (they do exist, I'm just not up to speed with what's out there at present) and that will also handle the correct resolution.

3. Cdumitru78 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, this looks like it might work, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this switch or if there are any other options...

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Someone on this site who wrote a good review about it on their website and the link's in their signature. I can't remember their name though but I think I remember them using it I think a Macbook Pro with two 23" Dell LCDs. If I find the link I'll edit my post.

Edited:
    OK I found the user. He's name is taylorwilsdon and here's a link to his review on his website.
    http://www.taylorwilsdon.com/laptop/matrox-dualhead2go-digital-edition-review

[​IMG]

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That looks pretty cool.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah it does look incredibly sexy. All that silver and black. :cool: Very nice setup.