Dual Monitor for Mac Mini & PC Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tofray, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tofray macrumors regular

I'm considering selling my 27" iMac, and buying a Mac Mini to be used with dual 24" monitors. I've seen youtube vids on setting up the dual monitors, so I know that's not a problem. My question is:

Can I use my PC laptop (work) to also share the dual monitors, when I need to work at home? Basically, is it possible to setup a KVM switch to change the monitors from desktop to laptop (from OSX to PC)?

And if that's possible, is it possible to put a PC docking station between the laptop & the KVM switch?? (My laptop only has 1 mini displayport)

Thanks!

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

There are dual monitor KVM switches out there....as far as using them with a docking station to control a USB monitor connection for the PC laptop - you'd probably need to try it and see, it's not one of your everyday, common setups.

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

If you don't need the laptop to use both monitors at the same time, I'd make sure one of the monitors has multiple inputs (DVI and DP, for example), and just use the monitor's input select button to switch between input sources. No KVM switches required.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Essentially, provided the KVM switch has the appropriate connections it will work.

You would plug your two displays into the switch, then the two cables from the Mini into it. Then the two cables from the docking station in and a single keyboard and mouse.