Dual Monitor: Game + Movie?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LazzerdKam, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LazzerdKam macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am running my TV (Toshiba Regza) as an external monitor so I can watch movies on it. However, I want to be able to play games on my laptop monitor, while still running a movie on the TV. I can hear the sound from the movie, but the TV monitor just goes black. Any way to fix this?

I have tried changing the resolution of the TV to the same as the game resolution, but didnt do anything.

2. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Well could be that there is a better solution to fix this, but one that comes up to my mind is to run the game in window mode ( command+m ). Should work fine, without killing the 2nd monitor signal.

3. LazzerdKam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats what I would normally do with most games, but I have one game that is unable to run in window mode, so command + M is not working there unfortunately

4. Centsy macrumors regular

I think you are stuck then. I don't think you can watch a move with a fullscreen app running.

5. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

go to the options and see if you can change it then. Command M isn't necessarily the only way to window something.

6. LazzerdKam thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah but there is no exit fullscreen/window mode in the options for the game. It doesnt support window mode...

Thats why I was really hoping it would be possible to run both the game full screen and have the movie on the other screen. I know some PC users who have managed to do it but guess Mac can't :/

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Well, it always depends on the game, but on my PC (not mac) I just plug the DVI, run the full screen movie and game and play ;) I mean you don't even need to setup something. Have you tried having the movie in windowed mode?

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Buy a refurbished AppleTV for $84 bucks? You will be able to watch (and listen to) whatever is in your iTunes library as well as play a game on your laptop. And as a bonus, your laptop will not need to be tethered to the TV and you can sit more comfortably on the couch or wherever.:eek: