Dual Monitor is great

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Funkmasta, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Funkmasta macrumors member

I love how they both act independently.

Fullscreen movie on the external, fullscreen browser on the laptop.

Separately operated Mission Control setups as well, glad they focused on it since Lion/ML both sucked in this area.

2. KRivers macrumors member

KRivers

Yeah its much better this way, its only issue I can see ATM is that the dock gets stuck on the second display frequency

3. jonasdamn, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Im newbie in mac and not so long time ago i bought MBA 2013. Would like to ask if it is possible. If i would buy apple tv and connect it with samsung smart tv, will this feature work like that? :) or it will stream my mba screen and it wont be like second monitor?
    Thanks

Edit: found that it is possible, so would like to ask if anyone tried with Apple tv? :)

4. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

With Mavericks you can use Airplay to an Apple TV to do two things: (1) "Mirror" your display or (2) "Extend" your display, using the Apple TV as a virtual monitor with its own desktop.

I have two physical displays, and I occasionally use a TV connected to an Apple TV 3 as a third display. It works fairly well: video plays well, windows update seamlessly. But, there is a slight lag/latency that makes it awkward to interact with. I find working in Excel or Word or editing video or doing something very unpleasant on an Airplay-extended desktop. So it use it just for tossing up an ESPN Gamecast window or video or something similar that I don't need to interact with.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

To move the Dock simply click on the Desktop and bounce the mouse Pointer off the bottom of the screen. You can also 1 finger swipe with the Pointer at the bottom starting "above" the top of the Trackpad.

6. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Does Mavericks properly sync audio coming from applications that you drag to an Airplay desktop when that audio is played through your computer's internal speakers or speakers connected to the computer? Or does it only sync audio if you're also using Airplay speakers?

7. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I haven't noticed any audio sync problems when dragging a video to an Airplay desktop. In fact, my most common use of the third desktop is for watching video. The Apple TV 3 is connected to a 26" Vizio TV on a stand in front of my treadmill. If I'm watching Netflix or Hulu or NBA TV, I can just watch through the Apple TV, but if I'm watching something from our collection, I watch it through the Mac+Airplay.

I have some decent desktop speakers that are plugged into my Mac mini directly, and I get my sound from those.

8. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Sounds promising, thanks.

9. Threaded Bolt macrumors newbie

Try to spread a large window across two screens - that is not possible, only half of the window is displayed. The funny thing is, that the complete window is visible on both screens as long as you drag it.

10. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

You are correct. That has been true since the earliest betas. With separate spaces enabled, windows cannot span spaces. Finder windows will end up visible in the space in which the mouse cursor was when the window was released.

11. Funkmasta thread starter macrumors member

I may have to get an Apple TV just to airplay across to my external wirelessly.

Right now its fantastic to watch Directv on the big display and browse/edit photos/whatever on the laptop, but I have to be tethered.

12. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

it won't be the same to do it wirelessly than wired, wirelessly the quality will decrease and it will freeze from time to time.

13. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

This is true. It is often less pleasing and reliable over wifi. My Apple TV 3 is (indirectly) connected via Ethernet to my Mac mini.

14. Threaded Bolt, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

Threaded Bolt macrumors newbie

The other thing they haven't fixed is that you cannot disable the internal monitor completly. I have an iMac with a second monitor and as I don't like the iMac's glossy display I use the external monitor as my primary monitor.
    With Windows 7 I can turn the internal display off, this keeps the Mac much cooler even when playing games and saves energy too.