Dual Monitor on 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LindsayC, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LindsayC macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2010
    Hey all,

I have done many searches and read about my options for my MBP for dual monitors. My boss told me I need a dual external monitors, and to get him the cost and options.

The specs of my MBP,

13" / 4GB RAM / P7550 @ 2.26 (Core 2 Duo) / GeForce 9400m / Windows 7 Pro

My three options;

Matrox DualHead2Go DP
    ViDock2 Express Card w/Graphics card (I would buy)
    Magma (Too expensive for me to justify)

What would you recommend? I am always doing multiple remote desktop sessions, and I like to play the odd game. The monitors being used, are Samsung 24" @ 1920x1200.

Would the 9400m be able to support dual 24's over the Matrox? Can the ViDock support a MBP running Windows 7? Does it support full length GPUs?

I like the idea of the Matrox, seems simple and good to go. But I like the idea of the expandability of the Vidock. My MBP only has DP, so I need to make sure it would work with Vidock in Windows 7.

Thanks for the help!
  2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2008
    Northeast USA
  3. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    The ViDock is using an ExpressCard slot and is not supported on Unibody MBPs, of which only the 2008 15" MBP has an ExpressCard slot and the 17" MBP.

There are also a variety of USB adapters, but gaming is not an option with those.

Have you used MRoogle yet to find similar threads?
  4. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2009
    New Jersey
  5. flat4 macrumors member

Jul 14, 2009
  6. LindsayC thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys.

I have used MRoogle, couldn't find a clear cut answer on whether or not the 9400m could really handle two 1920x1200 displays.

Well, that narrows it down to 1 option at this point, the DualHead2Go. Will the 9400m have issues handling the two displays via the DualHead2Go?

The Minideck looks good, but won't support gaming, which isn't a huge deal, as I can always disconnect it, as I wouldn't be playing on both monitors at the same time, but I would like to be able to keep the other monitor up while I was playing.