Dual monitor setup - 1 monitor not showing as good of results

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creativedogmedia, Mar 10, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I use a MacBook Pro for my main computer. From it, I have a display port to DVI adapter with a DVI to DVI to the back of my new Dell U2412M 24" monitor (I bought two of them at same time from same place). To my other monitor, I am using USB to a j5create adapter (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5-crea...35874157&skuId=5384981&st=j5 create&cp=1&lp=2) which then goes USB 3.0--->DVI adapter then DVI to DVI. This monitor has a slightly red hue to it and it flickers when scrolling through websites, watching Tweetbot stream in tweets, etc. I switched the monitors and same issue appears on the monitor connected via USB. Is there a way to connect this monitor using something other than this j5create device that would provide higher quality picture?

2. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

BTW, I dont want mirrored displays. I want three different displays (my MBP and 2 Dells) to be able to drag things around to each of them. Thanks.

3. SBA macrumors member

Which specific model MBP do you have?

If it's a retina anything, you can plug in the other display via the other thunderbolt port.

If it's something earlier, you'll need to either live with the USB adapter, or shell out for a video adapter that can output to two separate displays. The one I know (and used for a while) is called a DualHead2Go by Matrox. It's pricey, but you can typically find them on eBay for a bit cheaper.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

It's the one just before the retina. I've heard of that product. Do you know if it separates it out without degradation of signal so both monitors show same image quality?

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

Shame you didn't research this more before you bought the monitors, perhaps you could have daisy chained together 2 Dells if you had more than 1 display port on each.

The Dell U2413 or Dell U2414H have 2 Displayports each for daisy chaining together, which in theory your Thunderbolt port can drive easy.

6. SBA macrumors member

Yes you'll get a clear picture on both monitors BUT you'll have a single picture (your desktop) stretched across both displays. Nothing looks odd or distorted with that - just something to keep in mind.

The next question is whether the resolution of those Dell displays is supported. I ran 2 1920x1080 Dell monitors when I used the Matrox. I believe yours are 1920x1200. I imagine it will work, but I'm not certain.

I don't believe this particular monitor supports daisy chaining, as suggested by 808?.

That image quality issue you're having is likely due to using a USB adapter, by the way. Those are generally fine in a pinch, but not close to what you get with an actual video cable.

7. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

When you say stretched across both monitors how is that different than how it sits today?

8. COrocket macrumors 6502

It means it will treat the monitors as one giant 3840x1200 display instead of separate 1920x1200 monitors. So when you full screen something it will consume both monitors. There may be a software workaround included with that product so it behaves as two monitors. But for dragging windows around in non full screen, it should do what you want.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes of course there is a way. Begin by unplugging the USB adapter from your MacBook. Then locate your nearest garage. Then take the closest hammer and forcefully insert it into the adapter. That will fix it.

In all seriousness, USB adapters are terrible. You can start by checking for the latest drivers from the manufacturers. Essentially what DualHead2Go does is connects one cable and spans it across the displays. E.g. menubar will have clock and right half on one display and the :apple: menu on the other. See Google for pictures of it.

10. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Haha....I did one better...I picked up a new rMBP and actually was able to bring my 3rd 24" back into play based on the better connectivity. Now, I have another issue....the U2410 looks very true to color but is making the other two U2412's look a little cool in color....just color match by eye as best I can?

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

just color match by calibration meter as best you can. :rolleyes:

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

To calibrate it, simply fire up System Preferences --> Displays.

From there, select the window with the desired monitor and hit the "Color" tab. Then choose Calibrate and follow the wizard.