Dual Monitor Setup - 1 OSX, 1 WIN...?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hellodon, Mar 3, 2012.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Is it possible to have a dual monitor setup and have a Windows installation on my Mac - and then have one screen showing my standard/normal OSX desktop, then on the OTHER screen have Windows running so that I have access to both without having to reboot between the 2?

If anyone has any information on how I can do this, please let me know! I'd definitely need tips on which software to use (bootcamp, parallels, ????), which version of Windows works best on a mac, and what kind of system specs I should have for this to run smoothly...just basically looking for my best options...currently using a Mac Mini with decent specs - I don't know them off the top of my head - this is my work system.

I would also like to be able to easily turn off Windows whenever need be and just have a dual screen OSX going on.

Here's my situation and why I am looking to do this.

I run all of our outside sales channels at my job. This includes several different stores all selling our merchandise at various spots throughout the internet. One of my main ones that require the most unautomated attention is Ebay....thousands of listings at any given moment. Ebay doesn't really support mac when it comes to their external applications/tools so the things I can use are pretty limited on a mac, or I have to use their online tool within the browser which is FAR from ideal.

I'm finally giving in and I realize I need to get Windows to improve productivity probably at least 20x, but I am DEFINITELY not switching over 100% to a Windows machine - NO WAY. I want to present options to the CEO and figure out what to do. Here are the few I'm thinking:

1. Get another monitor, I could use dual anyway, and then have the option to have both running at the same time when I need Windows it'll be on my left screen and when I'm NOT..I'll have a dual monitor OSX desktop. Its important that I don't lose access to my OSX when running windows so I don't want to have to switch back and forth

2a. Get a another monitor, and build a cheap PC along with it and actually add a second complete system to my desk with Windows on it and not have to worry about bootcamp or whatever I end up using to boot windows.
    2b. With this system, have a very simple SWITCH or something that would let me to quickly plug in that second monitor to my mac allowing me to run dual OSX monitors easily when that windows machine is not in use. Do they make such a device?

Sorry for the lengthy question, but I'm hoping someone can help me out ASAP. I'd like to present these options on Monday and have an order placed for whatever I end up needing by Monday afternoon receiving it by the end of the week and being more productive within the week...couldnt hurt to have a dual setup for all of the sites I'll have open reading and listtening ( watching(?) the event on the 7th.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

2. CEx macrumors newbie

I have a bootcamp partition and use parallels to run both OSX and Windows at the same time. I find this configuration very stable and lets me have the best of both worlds.

Everything you need can be done using parallels and a windows 7 installation. Depending on your configuration, you might need more RAM in other to run both OS's smoothly.

I recommend using enough space for your windows installation. I originally reserved only 64 GB of my Hard Drive for Win7 and it was a pain to increase the partition size without erasing everything. I now have 260 GB for Windows and hope i won't have to resize again.

Hope this helps

3. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend Windows 7 with either VMWare Fusion or Parallels (either is fine, they are very similar). I'd get the secondary monitor and split the OS's as you suggested. I have a dual-monitor setup and it is extremely efficient.