Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
WARNING:
i did not create this script nor i have i even tried it. i don't even own an iBook, eMac, or iMac. i just came a cross this on the net. i am not responsible for any problems you encounter because of this script.

supposedly this script will allow dual display mode on iMacs, eMacs, and iBook with Radeon graphics. i repeat THIS SCRIPT ONLY WORKS WITH MACHINES THAT HAVE A RADEON GRAPHICS CHIP. PEOPLE HAVE CLAIMED THAT THEIR MACHINES HAVE DIED AFTER RUNNING THIS SCRIPT ON A NON-RADEON MACHINE.

anyone feeling brave?

http://www.heise.de/ct/03/16/links/192.shtml

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yep, it doesn't check to see if your machine ie supported. if not, you have to replace your logic board from my understanding.

arn

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I don't think I would try this.

Originally posted on xlr8yourmac.com

Repeat of Warning about iBook Dual Monitor Mod Risks -
"Hi Mike, since the release of the AppleScript to enable spanning on some iBooks/iMacs/eMacs by the german magazine c't ( noted in yesterday's news here ) - I have received some reports of failed iBooks. This is the same issue as with my original patch where 600 MHz iBooks (other Rage-based iBooks might be affected as well) with the Rage Mobility chip will die after applying the patch (the AppleScript apparently doesn't check if you use this kind of iBook). ( This problem was reported by some readers in the past article here on the mod.-Mike )
Maybe you could add a warning to the news item on your site that this patch will not circumvent this issue.
Unfortunately there is no known way to revitalize those iBooks besides replacing the mainboard.
Thanks -Klaus"

Just thought I would give another warning. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.