Dual monitor Vram impact

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Riptide76, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Riptide76 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Since the new Macbook Pros are out I'm about to purchase one. I would go with the lowest model because i think that the 500€ difference aint worth it for me.
    Only thing making me hesitating is the +128MB VRAM. I plan to use the macbook pro in dual display mode with my 21" TFT and plan to go 30" in the future.
    I read through many 128 vs 256 threads here on the forums and most comments related to the 3d performance. I have to say im no gamer so 3d performance would be a criteria for me. As far as i read the vram is divided evenly across the displays, right? So my question is, will even be 64Mb (128MB vram model) be enough for a smooth mac OS X desktop with all its eye candy?
    Or is this eye candy already on heavy 3d use, thus needing more VRAM?

thanks in advance.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you plan to drive a 30" screen, I think you're gonna want the 256MB for video card. (required?)

3. Riptide76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found an excellent article http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10-4.ars/14 . It emphasizes the role of VRAM for Tiger. But then again they don't mention how many Megabytes are typically involved. I know i could just do the math like - 1600x1200x32bit = 7.680.000 bytes = 7,5 MB for one frame buffer on my 21". I might think that even 64MB per screen looks like plenty of VRAM, but i dont know how many "layers" of frame buffers are used for all the eye candy in Tiger (probably even more in Leopard).
    I would hate to have 128MB and purchasing a 30" in 2 years just to find out that everything runs sluggish with that amount of vram. On the other side 500$ premium just for additional 128MB (i know +40gb hdd, +0.2 GHz CPU, but these are not important ot me) is hard on my budget.