Dual Monitor w/ Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cined, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Cined, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

Cined macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking to hook up two additional monitors to my Macbook Pro but not sure what's the best way to do it.

Can someone tell me what i'll need to do it?

Will a simple DVI splitter suffice? Or do i need someone more complicated such as the Matrox TripleHead2Go?

What's the difference between these two? There's certainly a big price difference...

Thanks.

2. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

You have about 3 basic options.

1) My least favorite, the Matrox DualHead2Go. The reason I don't like this option is because you have to place the 2 monitors next to each other.

2) Get one normal mini display to DVI(or VGA) and connect one monitor, and then connect a monitor by USB 2.0 to DVI(or VGA). The monitor connected by USB will have to be a quality product and support the resolution. They can be found on OWC. The problem with this is you will only be able to do simple tasks with the monitor connected by USB. No gaming or anything graphic intensive. The regular monitor connected by mini-display port will be fine.

3) I believe there is a mini display port to dual DVI. I'm not sure so please don't quote me on this. Which if it exists from Apple, It may be the best option.

I was also thinking about doing this with my future iMac so I did do a bit of research a long time ago. I'm not completely correct in my response, so please do not quote me on any of this.