Dual Monitor with the 09 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by samueljay, Mar 12, 2009.

1. samueljay macrumors newbie

Hey All,
    Been reading the forums on this site for quite some time, and thought I'd make a post finally as I'm unsure about the new mac pro. I was planning on getting a Mac Pro later in the yeah (first week of august) mainly for video editing (I'm a film student in Melbourne Australia), but confused as to how one would go about using 2 displays given that Apple has taken away a DVI port, and replaced it with a mini display port. I'm guessing this means to have two screens you'll need to get a Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI adaptor? ($149AU from apple eeeep!) Is this the way to do it? Pretty much I was thinking of buying two monitors, 24" Samsung displays (I was originally going to get apple displays, but considering they've taken away the 20" displays, the cheapest is now $1200+ glossy [which apparantly is no good for working with colour], and made for a notebook). Would it be possible to use two Samsung monitors? http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/21/samsung-shows-clean-lines-on-1080p-syncmaster-2494hs-lcd/

I could get two of these for about $350 each... a massive price difference from Apple, in Australia, that's less than half the price of the 20" ACD, with better specs, and 4 extra inches.. I'm sure you can see my dilema, and bother as to which monitor I should be getting..

Thanks in advance,
    Samuel.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You only need dual link if you're using a 30" monitor with that port.

Buy any monitor.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

What he said. Just to expand on it. The regular MDP to DVI adapter (US$29) will work fine on any monitor smaller than 30". You only need the dual-link adapter if you have a dual-link monitor. You can use any brand monitor you like with a DVI connection.

4. samueljay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much to both of you for your speedy and informative replies :)

Now I just have the dilema of what screens to buy :)

Thanks again!