Dual monitors, disable MacBook's monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devknob, Jun 16, 2009.

1. devknob macrumors newbie

I recently got a macbook to develop an app for the iphone. The backlight started giving out and the Mac Geniuses wanted to send it to Texas to be repaired. Since im in the middle of a time sensitive proj, I opted against this for the time being.

Since then, the backlight is 100% gone, I can use a flashlight to see parts of the screen but its not fun.

Is there any way to use only my secondary monitor and have the mac act as if its notebook monitor isnt existent like you can on a PC? Is there any way to specify on what monitor programs open? This is getting stupid tedious! :confused:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

run in clamshell mode

have your computer close then plug in a keyboard and wake from sleep with the keyboard and there you go

3. devknob thread starter macrumors newbie

You sir, are my savior. Thank you very much, and RON PAUL FREAKIN ROCKS.

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

While your problem seems to be fixed another helpful hint that I couldn't figure out for the life of me was if you open up your display preferences in system prefs you can change which monitor is the main screen. What you do is you get to the screen that allows you move around the two blue screens and you drag the menu bar on the one screen to the other.
    Really a dumb idea and not straight forward at all, but good to know.