Dual Monitors, how to assign dock to the main monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mtcrutch, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mtcrutch macrumors newbie

There might be an easy solution for this, but I haven't found it yet..

I've got a 24" iMac, and run the dock on the left hand side of the screen. After hooking up a 15" Wacom Cintiq , everything works fine - except for the fact that the dock now resides on the left side of the Cintiq's screen. Is there a way to set the iMac as the main monitor, so the dock with stay on it instead?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes.

System Prefs->Displays->Arrangement

On the little diagram, drag the taskbar to the other screen to make it the primary display (the one with the dock).

3. mtcrutch thread starter macrumors newbie

The menu bar is already on the correct screen (iMac). I've tried assigning the menu bar to the Cintiq and then back to the iMac, hoping it was just a glitch and the dock would follow, but no dice.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The dock should always be on the same screen as the menu bar. Are you saying you have the menu bar on one screen and the dock on the other?

5. mtcrutch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. If i assign the dock to the bottom of the screen, it corrects itself, and places it on the iMac's screen. But when I assign it to the left, it hops back onto the Cintiq.

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Is your Cintiq monitor positionned to the left of your iMac? If yes, it's normal. If you position the Dock at the bottom of the screen, it will be on the same screen as the menu bar. However, if you position to the right or to the left, it will go to either the complete right or the complete left of your total screen space.

For example, I have a Dell monitor (primary screen) to the left of my MacBook. If I position the Dock to the bottom, it will stay on the Dell monitor, but if I choose "right," it will go to the right side of my MacBook.

Hope this helps.

--
    Patrick

7. mtcrutch thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. All a dual monitor setup does is basically just extend the desktop real estate horizontally. I'm just curious if there's a way to stick the dock back on the main monitor.. It's not essential, but it's kind of a pain to have to mouse all the way over to the other monitor just to use the dock. Luckily there's Quicksilver.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

put your dock on the RHS. your just going to have to get used to it.