Dual Offer: Display Rebates

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apple is offering a new monitor Rebate with PowerMac G4, Macintosh Server G4, and Xserve purchases:

Just buy any Power Mac G4 and as many qualifying Apple flat-panel displays as you’d like between August 13 and September 30, 2002. You’ll save $200 on the 17- and 22-inch displays and $500 on the breathtaking 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

If you purchase more than one... "A rebate will be given for each display you purchase".

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I'm the first one!!!

Nice, looks like we are gonna have new displays on the way very soon, may be in Paris:)

I just wish the come with RCA video imput so I can plug them any where.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i hope they release new displays (but the current line is the nicest line of displays ive ever seen) but they should be cheaper than the current line since i cant afford even the 15" display....

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Saving Money

I imagine some enterprising young soon-to-be-mac purchaser could get together with a bunch of soon-to-be-monitor purchasers, split the rebates and save quite a bit of money. Just an idea...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
This almost certainly means new displays. I do hope that they drop the 15" display. It looks out of place with the 17, 22 and 23" displays... I think the 17, 19, and 23" lineup would be reasonable... I read that LCD prices were dropping, so maybe we'll see $499-799 for the 17, 999 or 1299 for the 19, but I'm not sure how much Apple would charge for the 23" Cinema HD... Of course, all of these displays would be widescreeen...

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
This almost certainly means new displays.
Just to let all of you know, Apple has running a rebate on towers and displays in one form or another for about a year. It doesn't necessarily mean new or even reduced price monitors. While I'd love it if they drop the 15" and price the 17" ~$499, that way I can get rid of this big CRT, it may not happen.

studioj

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Can I buy the computer and display from two different retailers within the given time frame?

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by studioj
Can I buy the computer and display from two different retailers within the given time frame?
Nope. I believe you have to buy them together. Both pieces of hardware need to be on the same receipt.

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by studioj
No, they need to be on the same receipt.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
If you purchase more than one... "A rebate will be given for each display you purchase".

So how many 23 inch cinema displays do I need to buy to get a free mac (and the extra video cards) that can drive them?

Four would probably be nice.

Will you loan me the money?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

So how many 23 inch cinema displays do I need to buy to get a free mac (and the extra video cards) that can drive them?

Four would probably be nice.

Will you loan me the money?
Buy 7, get $500 for each (=> $3500), and sell 6 of them... and you've got a free one. :)

You just need $24,500 for the inital outlay...

arn

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
If Samsung makes LCD monitors for Apple do they offer their own line of monitors that are cheaper than Apple's? Same ingredients, different brand name? Like some automakers do.
Not that I know of - I bought what was pretty much Samsung's top-of-the-line 17" for my PC a couple of months before I bought the 17" Studio for my Mac. The list price was the same although, as is so often the case with PC stuff, a little searching around turned it up for about $900 instead of $1000.

It wasn't an exact feature-for-feature match, either - the Samsung has both DVI-I and VGA inputs (with a switch on the front, so you can hook two machines up if you're willing to put up with analog video on one of them) but there are no USB ports and no integration of brightness control. However, the Samsung is available in a (more expensive) model with a TV-tuner built in, and there may also be one with built-in speakers. It has a lot more in the way of standard monitor screen adjustment controls, but everything except brightness is locked out when it's running in digital mode.

Also, while it does have a degree of tilt to the stand, it's butt-ugly next to the Studio Display.

Note that there's also no guarantee that the LCDs are the same model. They're both Samsung, both 17", both made around the same time, but the white temperature on the Apple display is higher - the Samsung looks a bit off-white by comparison. Maybe the same LCD but a different backlight?

Another difference - I had to search far and wide for a PC TFT monitor that had DVI support. All the ones I saw seemed to be premium models from their respective manufacturers, while the vast majority of displays out there just had standard VGA input.

Never could understand the logic of that, it's like buying a brand new DVD player with composite outputs, progressive scan, etc, and a matching 42" plasma display, then using an RF cable to hook them up.