Dual Swingarm iMac G5?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 30, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

A patent filed by Apple Computer on August 24, 2004, for an "ornamental design for a display device with a moveable assembly" might shed some light on the design of the new iMac G5. Attached to the patent filing are artist renderings of a dual connection arm similar to the original iMac G4, but doubling the swingarms. Additionally, the base of the machine is a pyramidal shape, in contrast to the dome base of the most recent iMac G4. (Images in forum thread)

The timing of the filing of the patent in relation to the upcoming Apple Expo Paris might not be a coincidence, since patent approval would not have been made known until today. Also included in the filing are links to the iMac G4 swingarm patent.

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

linked patent images and an artist's rendering:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bluebull macrumors member

4. LeonPro macrumors regular

5. achmafooma macrumors regular

Fascinating ...

Is it just me, or does it look like the display itself has a swivel connection ... ie, you could rotate the screen to a landscape or portrait orientation.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the look of where the arm connects to the display, but wouldn't that be great for print-houses and the like (and working with longer, portrait-oriented documents in general)?

6. AndrewMT macrumors regular

NOVA, or Northern Virginia to the lay person.
    I wish Apple would make some cool vesa-compliant arms and mounts for their cinema displays.

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Looks weird, but those are just example drawings.

Looks like the new iMac is going to be pretty nice. Might have to pick one up now that mine has been returned to its owner. :D

9. jcroft macrumors member

If it doesn't have a portrait/landscpe swivel, it should!

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

being able to tilt the screen to portrait is kinda neat but it would be nice if there was a way to lock that so that your display wouldn't be tippy to one side,
    the dual arm seems like it may add increased mobility to the screen which would be great. Also, keeping a similar "form factor" is a good idea as a lot of people really liked the previous imac's design (including me)

11. kevin49093 macrumors regular

August 24, 2004 ? Isn't it a bit late to be filing patents for a product that is about to be rolling out?
    I guess I thought this was something that would have to be taken care of well ahead of a release.

12. skymaXimus macrumors regular

That's the 1st thing I noticed too ...

13. sososowhat macrumors 6502

It looks more like a lamp than a computer. Perhaps I can put it on the nightstand & work in bed :).

The physics of the jointed display are a little weird -- wouldn't that put a lot of stress on the "elbow"?

14. cubist macrumors 68020

Makes no sense if the arm is as flexible as the iMac's current arm, but if rotation was restricted at some joints, it might be pretty nice.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

They already sell a VESA-compliant mount for the cinema display. But I have to admit, it would me nice to see one of those new Aluminum Cinema Display on a iMac styled arm.
    [​IMG]

16. CholEoptera36 macrumors regular

CholEoptera36

Why would they use a double hinge design like that? The previous model worked just fine, that would be an unnecessary addition to the old design. Also it looks like the double hinges would give the LCD less support. :confused:

17. sketchy macrumors regular

I know that the service guys hate the current arm configuration. All the cables have to go through the arm. Two arms make it even more complicated to service...

I don't see that much benefit with two arms. If it was double headed -- that would be neat

Dave

18. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Great - Just when I thought I'd heard enough about a headless iMac. :D

JOD8FY

19. DrGruv1 macrumors regular

+ detach - screen? chameleon color, wireless firewire? :D

20. rock6079 macrumors 6502

wow, and jsut wen i thought we were going to go into a keynote without any good spoilers, this is sick. awsome !!!

though i dont really like the look of the artists rendering i doubt it wil llook like the pro seriese computers like the pwoermacs and powerbooks, but even if it does i have full faith that apple will maike an awsome design

the double swivelness looks sick

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

hehe...

I was hoping for a pyramid-, or cube-form iMac base! :cool:
    I bet it would look so impressive!

Maybe, just maybe.....

(now, just put something better in it than a 5200 :D -eh, did we mention that before? )

22. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Wow! I should've posted my drawings, they look close to that! Oh well...
    –Chase

23. ts1973 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but this looks horrible to me : not an improvement at all :mad:

I hope this piramid scheme is not true. The dual arm design could of course be used for some other clever reason (but I couldn't imagine what). Maybe the artist rendering are made to take us of in a wrong direction (again, I hope so).

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You would think that the pyramid shape looks like that because it has little to do with the patent- so they don't care what it looks like. At least I hope, because that is pretty groos looking! :eek:

Perhaps the double arm joints would have something to do with wall mounting?

25. recursivejon macrumors regular

looks... off

For some reason that arm just doesnt look like something Apple would design... its just about as complex it can be; functionality > usability.

Also what about balance, unless that base is uberheavy, with that display arm extended to its full length, i dont see how the thing could keep from toppling over.

Just my thoughts.