Dubuque, Iowa City Council Bans Sledding In Most City Parks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jan 6, 2015.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This just in from the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot department: Some people definitely wanted to make Rosebud the last word in sleds.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...city-council-bans-sledding-in-most-city-parks

I remember my house being on the top of a street hill, and one day after an ice storm and school was called off, I took my plastic Big wheel from the top of the hill all the way down. I remember slamming into some parked cars as well. Sledding accident? yes. Is sledding down a street dangerous? Of course. Sledding down a hill in a park something that should be banned, while letting the kids sit at home indoors eating junk food in front of a TV be fair game?

Parents should have the last say in this, not the municipal government.

BL.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm going to disagree with you. This has to do with city parks and liability. It's completely understandable to me why the city would want to lower its exposure to lawsuits.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I feel like the city counsel did this reluctantly and out of obligation. Iowa really should pass a law to exempt city parks from liability in case of an accident.

4. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Sadly this is the joys of a few sue happy jackasses. They ruin it for the rest of us. It only takes one law suit.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Some people get off on regulating every facet of our lives. The Safety Nazis are particularly appalling. You can't hardly find a playground jungle gym these days. One local town is considering a ban on swing sets.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Needlessly hyperbolic.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Put up a sign where kids go sledding that says "No sledding". Then, don't do anything about it when the do. When their parents sue, say tough ****, they were breaking the law, we aren't libel.

Pretty sure that's what they do in my town. Plenty of no sledding signs. Also, plenty of parents watching their kids flying down the hills on sleds.

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'm no lawyer but as far as I know, signage does not always protect you from liability in all states. You would have to look at the laws.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, you're probably right. Plus people are going to sue anyway. They might not win, but they will still sue.

10. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

There is something missing in this thread. I'll play the role this time.

The leftist liberals are too insecure so they ruin the fun for everyone. :mad:

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I imagine that after they pass these ordinances, they will put up signs.

And wouldn't a sign forbidding an action normally have an ordinance behind it anyway?

You must have missed this one ...

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Well it didn't explicitly mention liberals/democrats/left/Obama

13. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

And we wonder why childhood obesity continues to rise. :confused:

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

DG! Where have you been? Welcome back!

Enough niceties ...

They could burn off more fat, hiking to a hill, outside the city limits.

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Oh I lurk the PRSI every few days I just haven't felt compelled to post recently. Too much left and right and not much room for us centrists. Anyhow I just felt compelled to post here because I like seeing kids outdoors playing, exercising and having fun. I agree they could hike out of town, but then that's likely private property and then they would be in trouble for that. I understand it's the threat of lawsuits that ban the sledding, playground equipment, etc., but I wish people would wake up and see that we are hurting the kids more in the future by banning physical activities. Oh they might never break an arm as a child, but a broken arm as a kid is better then a heart attack at 50.

There enough of my rant. Hopefully the State legislature will fix the liability issue and kids can sled again in the parks. Is there risk in most physical activity? Yes, but more long term risk in leaving the kids on the couch in front of the TV with a bag of chips.

I love sledding and use to trek up the hill over and over and over when I was a kid. I still do when I go out with my nephews... Oh and PAM spray really does make those saucers go faster!

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And what is the main reason for suing? To recover the cost of treating injuries? Hmmmm, I wonder if there might some way to address that aspect of the problem?

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah that's true...

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Bradl - I agree with you that Iowa should change the law, but in the meanwhile Dubuque needs to do what's necessary to limit liability. I assume their city attorney advises this is the right direction.

By the way...have you visited Dubuque? One wrong sledding turn and a kid will find themself flying off the bluff into the Mississippi. Ha ha.

----------

May I recommend Iowa wrestling?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's just a phase.

;)