Due to uncertainty, cancelled 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lynn5707, Sep 13, 2013.

1. lynn5707 macrumors member

Hi,

I decided to cancel 5c 32 and go to store on Friday to see both before I buy. The case I ordered was ready to ship so cannot cancel that. Anyway, how does this affect mymupgrade with AT&T? Will it return back to eligible soon?

2. Kurso macrumors 6502

What was the original reason you ordered the iPhone 5c? Does that reason still exist?

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Make sure to call at&t, explain the cancel so they will put the upgrade back on your line.

4. lynn5707 thread starter macrumors member

I ordered the 5c as I have iphone 4 and thought I would save some money. While the camera isn't a big deal, nor the fingerprint on the 5s, the newer chip is something I wondered if I would regret??? So I decided to cancel and wait and see them in person.

I will also call AT&T to make sure they know so my upgrade can be added back on. :)

5. Kurso macrumors 6502

I'm not sure you will notice the impact of the processor difference today. So on the surface performance in the store demos will be the same. It is probably something you will see longer term or tied to specific apps/games.

But when you decide do let us know. I'm really interested in which one people are picking and why.

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Lupul already injured! Hopefully it's not that kind of year, tough conference this year.

7. lynn5707 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for your input. I decided to stick with my original plan. Blue 32g, 5c. Will have it delivered Friday. :)

8. Kurso macrumors 6502

Congrats!!! I hope you love it. Do come back and brag ;-)

9. billycuth macrumors 6502a

You're gonna miss the opportunity to own a 5s??? I think you'll come to regret it long term...

10. pmau macrumors 65816

People underestimate the introduction of a new CPU/GPU architecture.

Of course you won't notice today, but when Apps start to use the full potential on the 5S, you'll see the difference.

The 64bit A7 is a big deal, especially if you think about new iPads and feature compatibility. Always buy the upper-right when it comes to technology.

Apple hasn't really thought about the pricing of the 5C. It would be great and I would even buy BOTH, but its just too expensive...

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Since the 5s is 64 bit you will undoubtedly get longer good performance and usage out of it vs the 5c. Today and in the near future you won't notice a difference, but over the next 2-3 years you will. When it becomes obvious that 64 bit is beneficial it'll be much too late to change your mind.

12. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Lets see, if it takes 2-3 years, and she just got a phone today, then she will have the ability to upgrade again before your claim of 64 bit benefits will kick in.

----------

you know its funny, most of the time the hardware is fine in the tech world, its the software that is ****** and takes time to catch up. I love new hardware, so i am not saying i dont agree that its cool to have, but normally the software is just not there to fully use it.

13. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

Why not just order the phone, use it and if u don't like it, return it! 30 days right?

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

My point is this. She still has her iPhone 4 which shows that she holds on to her gadgets for a number of years. If she buys the 5s it will last her at least three and possibly four years meaning that she won't have to upgrade to reap the benefits of 64bit.

Also my mistake, I meant 1-2 years before we start seeing the benefits of 64bit OS and phone. Personally I would would wait until iPhone 6. I have a feeling that the 6 will be a drastic change and will in fact have the wow factor.

It would be difficult not to upgrade from a 4 like the OP has. I also don't have anything against the 5c but I think the 5s will have a much longer life span specifically because its 64bit.

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I've been going back and forth and again I can't justify the 5C. The only pro I see is being able to preorder and avoid lines, and save $100.

I like to save money like the next person, but 5S it is for me

16. zipster macrumors 6502

I think it'll be awhile before apps start taking full advantage of 64-bit. Apple still sells the iPhone 4S. Most popular apps still work on my iPad 1 and iPhone 4. Developers know they have to work on compatibility with the older generations.

----------

Same. If the 5C was $49 on contract, I'd snap it up. It's not a bad phone and I think the colors are cool. The battery is updated from the 5, and so is the camera... and by all accounts, the 5 is still a great phone (according to everyone here).

17. Bellabus macrumors newbie

Good idea. I doubt you'd regret that. 100$ difference over a 2 yr contract and it's a no brainer

18. pmau macrumors 65816

Apps are fat binaries today, meaning they can be compiled for multiple ARM architectures. But once people started using retina artwork and textures a lot, the performance started to suffer.

The same will happen to the A6 versions where Apps will reduce OpenGL vertex data and texture size, will use less image effects, transparency and such.

The phrase "will work on older models" is true, but I doubt you'll have the same experience.

19. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I think it's a wise decision to wait and see the phones in person. Pictures seldom tell the whole story. Colors tend to look different in person plus you'll get a better feel for the weight and finish.

I too have a 4 and it feels very slow now. With iOS 7, it will probably feel even slower. So I'm in the same boat. I don't know what I'll do. For now I'm thinking silver iPhone 5, but ask me 5 minutes later and I may have changed my mind...and all this without even seeing it in person.

If you tend to hold on to the phone for a long time. $100 is no brainer for the faster processor. Buy the 5C only if you're doing it for other reasons like color or resistance to scratches. Saving $100 on a phone "experience" that will cost ~$2000-$3000 over its life is not worth it.