Duke Energy Says $25 Million Fine For Years Of Groundwater Pollution Is ‘Regulatory O

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 25, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

**** Duke Energy. When will Americans wake up to big business privatizing their profits and making the public pay for their mistakes?

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/03/25/3638487/duke-fights-fine/

2. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

What is the process? I'm not saying DE is right to pollute the water, but could they be right that regulators got overzealous due to pressure for being too lenient in the past?

If anyone has more information on the subject, I think it would be helpful. Always look a little deeper.

Also, Duke Energy is a monopoly....a regulated utility in N.C. Consumers don't have a choice but to get their power from Duke if they fall within their territory (which covers just about all of NC).

What's the alternative?

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The alternative is to have these corporations pay for the damage they do. I'd also have them pay for litigation if and when they lose. .001 of their profits will hardly change their behavior but may pay for the cleanup.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ok - but Duke has a legal right to appeal....why bash them for exercising this legal right? If the fine is found to be correct, they'll pay it.

I'm not sure what's gained by posting a thread like this other than to rail on "big business".

It's funny, government regulation turned the utility industry into a monopoly. In Texas, if a utility was polluting water, consumers would cease using that utility and they'd go out of business.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's like if I burn your house down due to gross negligence on my end, you sue me, win, and I appeal the case, screaming all the while to anyone willing to listen about how you liberals keep trying to take my hard earned money from me.

Appealing my case is perfectly legal. But when it's obviously and completely my fault your house burned down, going that extra step seems like I'm an irresponsible douche looking to avoid culpability for my actions just to save a few bucks.

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ok, then they're irresponsible douches looking to avoid culpability.

But at the end of the day, their the only game in town so.....good luck with that.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They can still be held accountable for their actions, whine though they might. It's for this very reason we have government enforced regulations.

As for their monopolized position, what alternatives do you have? Allow for competition, paving way for multiple companies to dig up streets to run their own power lines alongside their competitors? Allow multiple coal plants to operate in the same vicinity? Build three nuclear plants right next to each other? How do you provide a space for competition for an industry that requires so much land and solid infrastructure on the ground?

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

It seems to work for consumers here in Texas...seems like we pay a hell of a lot less for our energy.

We also have a boatload of green energy retailers popping up trying to woo customers with alternatives. Competition spurs innovation. Texas produces more wind power than any state in the US. I'm sure our large, flat physique helps a lot....;)

I don't disagree about Duke being held responsible. I just think it's useless to berate them on this forum when all they're doing is exercising their legal rights. If they get away with it, feel free to scream and yell.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If regulatory compliance is that costly, it would work in their favor by scaring off competitors. Assuming that is the case they're even more dishonest. If a government agency is going to fine these guys, it has to be enough to modify future business decisions. In previous cases it was less costly to continue with business as usual. It's unfortunate that they can't be dismantled and sold off in pieces.

Texas occupies a very large area, the majority of which is not densely populated. It's somewhat of an enigma in that regard.

They were berated more for stupid comments, although I haven't been able to locate a longer comment segment for full context.