Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In followup to a Page 2 rumor that Duke University would be offering iPods to their incoming freshman, CBS Marketwatch provides confirmation of this report.

According to the news site:

Apple also said that this fall Duke University will give iPods to all incoming freshman. Duke will hand out approximately 1,800 iPods that will be pre-loaded with Duke-related content and will allow students to download supplementary university material in addition to being able to play music.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
a little corroboration: http://news.com.com/Apple+hatches+newest+iPod/2100-1041_3-5274032.html?tag=nefd.top

Separately, Apple said that Duke University will give Apple iPods to each of its 1,650 freshman this fall, allowing them to access class schedules and course information, as well as play music via the devices. A custom version of the iTunes site will allow students to both buy music and download class information. The school characterized the effort as a pilot program between Duke and Apple that will be evaluated after this year, adding that students will be able to keep their iPods either way.

"We're approaching this as an experiment, one we hope will motivate our faculty and students to think creatively about using digital audio content and a mobile computing environment to advance educational goals in the same way that iPods and similar devices have had such a big impact on music distribution," Tracy Futhey, Duke's vice president of information technology, said in a statement.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
dho said:
Lucky lucky little ******

I wonder if more schools will follow

what worries me is how many schools will see this as a good idea, but realize they can do the same with the extremely less expensive other MP3 players on the market for a LOT less money.

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I just went to GW, and they now have that Napster deal going. This beats the hell out of that, but it does seem that the RIAA would have a hissy fit. Given that the university is now requiring students to use a device that can be used to pirate music. Eh, y'know what? F-those ******s.

I have a long list of reasons for not liking the RIAA, and I think they deserve a kick in the pants... wait this is all way off topic... :eek:

ArticulatedArm

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
Are these standard iPods though?

It seems a PDA would be much better for this unless these are some prototype iPods.

Groves

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2001
You don't need to worry, because Apple isn't relying strictly on the ipod to make this a glorious thing.

The customized iTunes store that allows them to download school related things in addition to music is the real key here.......it's the same power that works with keeping the iPod at the top of the field, too.

The iPod + iTunes Music Store = a fantastic music experience.

The iPod + Duke University + Special Duke/iTunes Music Store = a fantastic Duke University/music experience.

rishio

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2003
why go to class when

why go to the boring classes when they will be able to get audio recordings of their lecture on their special itunes. To bad I didn't have that option when i was in college. It would be fantastic to get class audio related material via itunes and ipod.

ArticulatedArm

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
People are always saying how a video iPod has no use... wouldn't video of say a mathematics lecture be a good thing on these iPods for this application as well?

appleface

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2003
West Texas
i'm definately interested in hearing how this pilot turns out. the ipods will definately be engraved to deter theft (i'm just thinking out loud). i wonder if they'll be duke colors (yeah right).

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if duke really wanted this to be a serious educational thing, iPod should be loaned to students instead of diverting some of the tuition money to purchase them.

99% of these iPod will be used to listen to music, with almost no "educational" value. having an educational use is a pretty thin attempt at justifying providing "gadgets" IMHO...

:rolleyes:

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
ArticulatedArm said:
People are always saying how a video iPod has no use... wouldn't video of say a mathematics lecture be a good thing on these iPods for this application as well?

No. Why not just watch that video on your computer in the dorm? Or in one of the many computer labs on campus?

iPods should be kept primarily as music devices. Who wants to be squinting at the tiny 2 inch screen trying to figure out differential equations from the latest video lecture?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
jxyama said:
if duke really wanted this to be a serious educational thing, iPod should be loaned to students instead of diverting some of the tuition money to purchase them.

99% of these iPod will be used to listen to music, with almost no "educational" value. having an educational use is a pretty thin attempt at justifying providing "gadgets" IMHO...

Well this IS just a test program to see if it can actually work. Why not have an open mind about it instead of being bitter?

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Mudbug said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this tidbit from that article:

"Apple said that the company has no current plans for a 60GB iPod. Toshiba, which supplies the drives used in the iPod, said in June that a 60GB drive was in the works. A Toshiba executive was quoted in overseas press reports as saying Apple was a customer, though Toshiba executives in the United States would not comment."

Is Apple deceiving us, or could there be another portable device w/HD coming out?

EDIT: Nobody mentioned this because it's already in a bunch of forums. Oops.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=941631#post941631

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
jxyama said:

how someone uses it and what it's intended to be used for are different things. most college students use their computers for email, surfing the web, and playing games. maybe a small percentage is actually used for "educational purposes." that doesn't make it useless or justify it as a necessary item. even if students will spend the bulk of their time listening to music, that doesn't mean it can't serve an educational purpose...even if only used twice a week to download lectures, it's still mighty useful.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Of course there are plans for a 60 GB iPod. They just don't want you to know so you don't wait to buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.