Dumbest Person in America-Arizona Debate Offshoot

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac N Tosh, May 25, 2010.

1. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That caller must not be paying taxes....

Come on over guys! We've got free healthcare, food, and best of all, you are welcomed by the politicians that want your vote! ... :facepalm:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, there are idiots who vaguely support seemingly leftist views. I guess she's our Carrie Prejean then? :p

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm actually surprised this didn't turn out to be another Palin thread.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I can't listen where I am but is the OP's link just a random voice call to a radio shock jock?

7. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Yea...Its a you-tube voice only of a women calling Michael Savage, regarding the Arizona newly passed law...The women has her beliefs and I respect that...but she should only get half a vote !! (just kidding)

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Who is she?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

People on welfare shouldn't get a vote, its a conflict of interest. Much like congress shouldn't be able to vote themselves a raise.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a libertarian right here. Saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vote for things they want or benefit from.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As soon as we get a fair tax system we can reinstate their votes. Furthermore my statement was that those who are enriched at the expense of others with little to no contribution of their own should not be able to vote. I don't let my guest decide what we watch on tv, I pay the bills.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Until then anyone on welfare payments are not full american citizens.

It was relatively easy to find an aswer to the thread title after all.

edit:

"People on welfare don't contribute to society. Being financially independent is the only way to contribute to society"
    -Libertarian

Vote Ron Paul

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

people who pay taxes also have a conflict of interest....so no vote for tax payers? :p

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

People who pay taxes are engaged in a process in which they pay for something that is more economical on scales. We don't ask each neighborhood to pave their own street because it makes more sense to pool the money and do it all in one run.

On the other hand, welfare recipients rely on everyone else to work to pay their check while not contributing anything to the system.

There is a big difference. There is no downside to them voting for someone who will increase benefits to them, they don't pay the bill.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which is demonstrably false. People on welfare payments can absolutely still contribute the economy (and society as a whole). It also entirely ignores the fact that over a timeline people might absolutely be in full employment and be contributing to the system only to draw on it when times are tough (i.e. lose their job through an economic downturn or no fault of their own). Or that welfare support during education increases one's earning ability in the long run which in turn increases their tax. But to a libertarian it's black and white thinking. They'll never have to draw on welfare. Or if they do they deserve it. And all people who are getting welfare are nothing more than perpetual bludgers.

Which again is a lie. See above.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Which in my system works perfectly, while they are under economically they turn their voting card in for a welfare check. When they start contributing they get their voting card back.

Stop thinking in such black and white tones. I didn't say they couldn't vote permanently.

Also your education scenario is ********, if they have low enough income they will get pell grants, and they will be eligible for federal aid without interest until they finish.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I personally like the idea of open borders. I doubt I'll be lucky enough to see a United North America (starting) with Canada, the U.S.A. and Mexico, but what could be wrong with that?

Oh... that's right... U.S. citizens might have to get used to sharing more of the world's resources instead of hogging a preponderance of them.

Don't worry. A few generations, and it will seem quite natural.

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Perhaps we should assess income tax on welfare payments. It seems to work for Sweden.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What people earn or what they do with their time has absolutely nothing to do with how valid a citizen they are when it comes to voting. People can be on welfare for a multitude of reasons. To negate their citizenship voting rights is an absolute affront to democracy.

As per usual it's just libertarain trolling with half-baked ideas.

There's more countries in the world than just the US. There's plenty of countries (australia included) that provide welfare payments to students who meet the criteria as it is a long-term investment in the country.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Or make them work for the public for their check, im sure there are some dirty streets to clean or something.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I thought Lincoln freed the slaves. :confused:

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Perhaps you missed the bolded part. Last I heard, slaves weren't paid.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They were given food and a roof over their head.

I wouldn't be surprised to find they were compensated in other ways too.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seriously? You think they were paid? Proof, please.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dude. Do you see the word compensated? That doesn't mean they had an hourly wage and benefits.

If ZA's going to turn welfare recipients into slaves he'll have to provide the basics that slaves were provided: food, clothes and housing.

Meanwhile, I'll be helping his slaves escape though the "underground railroad".