Dumbphone to Smartphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznboi91, Oct 28, 2012.

1. aznboi91 macrumors regular

iPhone 5? Is it worth almost 800 for 32 gb?(with case)

I've never owned a smartphone before. And plan on getting one soon.
    I hope to purchase one through Apple store and use it with T-Mobile. Do any of you know if this is possible?

Can you guys share some experience you have had with iPhone 5? I heard people blow things out of proportion on other blogs and sites about how iPhone 5 Maps doesn't work well and the camera is not very good... and the list goes on...

My question is do you guys find these problem to be very bothersome to you?

Thank for your help guys !

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You can go to the Apple store and buy one device-only for AT&T or Verizon (though I suggest AT&T for future LTE capabilities.) Just be there early in the morning and try and nab one of the ones set aside for walk-ins. Also, if they tell you they can't sell it to you like that.. I promise you they can. Just keep pressing.

I'm using one on T-Mobile right now, and I didn't pay the full retail because I bought it from a friend, but I'd still say it's worth it. Especially if you can hold off until the 3G refarm is complete (by the end of this year) and when LTE is introduced (next summer.) You'll get cheap, unlimited LTE (yes, I know it's throttled) for a much cheaper price than the other major carriers.

I've only had the phone for all of a few days but I love it. It's fast, gets what I need done, done, and it is very good for the fun side of it all- music, videos, games, etc.

4. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

The smartphone has become one of the most useful tools I've purchased in my entire life. Whether it's worth it depends on how much you depend on it and how much you get out of it.

Yes. Just ask for a nano SIM. But beware, 3G only works in a few areas (can anyone from the US elaborate, I'm not from the US).

Google maps is better. You can access Google maps and street view through the Safari browser just like on a PC.

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Sure : D The 3G is currently being refarmed and should be everywhere by the end of this year, with LTE coming next summer! I live near Dallas and pick up 3G there consistently, but not so much in the suburbs!

6. aznboi91 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! So... Do I just call T-Mobile and request a nano sim card? Is that all I have to do?

----------

So you have to have connections to the Apple store to buy an iPhone not at the full retail price?

I am buying 5 instead of the 4s just because of the refarm lol. I don't want to pay for expensive LTE service on ATT and Verizon.

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Just walk in a store.

8. aznboi91 thread starter macrumors regular

So I've been reading through a few threads.
    And it seems that I have to go onto ebay to pay to get my phone unlocked, even if I bought the iPhone 5 as a 'DEVICE-ONLY' through an apple store?

Does this happen too if I bought it contract free from VERIZON or ATT?

What does that mean? I'm a bit confused....

9. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If you buy it without a contract, it will be unlocked. Simple as that. If you buy it from Verizon on a contract, it will also be unlocked. If you buy it from AT&T on a contract (say, from someone else) you'll have to pay the few bucks to have it unlocked.

Basically, get the Apple store to sell you one, and you'll be good to go. Target and Walmart will also agree to sell it without a contract :) Best Buy too.