Dump Russian Vodka

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vega07, Aug 28, 2013.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

http://www.dumprussianvodka.com

I think this Sochi Olympics debacle will play a major role in shaping the gay rights movement in the future, particularly because of the international lines that are being crossed.

Hopefully a lot of good will come out of this. I'm not just talking about this one particular vodka boycott, but how people from different countries will collectively voice their dissent in different ways.

The next 6 months will be interesting, no doubt.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Yes! Dump ALL the Russian vodka. Right onto my front lawn. I will take care of it from there.

Now that I have THAT out of my system. I am very interested in the outcome of this. Keep up updated.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

The funny thing is that at least one of the companies being boycotted isn't a Russian company.

4. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

LOL! But this small boycott isn't going to do anything economically, nor was it meant to. It's to bring attention and give something to the media to focus on. If this boycott pervades Russian radio stations and television channels daily, then I'd say success.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I didn't know about this boycott, but I will boycott Russian Vodka.

Ironically I don't drink much but if I did hard liquor it was Vodka but the cheaper American stuff. I can't really tell the difference anyway.

Now as for boycotting Cuban cigars, that's a different issue and at this point a pretty stupid practice that is a holdover from the cold war.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

An event that hasn't even taken place yet can be characterized as a "debacle"? :confused:

Not a vodka drinker myself, so if you want to count me in with your little boycott feel free.

7. elistan macrumors 6502a

One could say that the Olympic games don't just happen between the opening and closing ceremonies - it's something that's ongoing all the time. The Olympics happen every two years (winter and summer events) but in between three's the selection of future sites, lobbying by countries that want to be selected, the build-up of facilities on selected sites, advertising for upcoming events, branding, etc.

So yeah, the sport competitions of the Olympics haven't happened yet, but "the Olympics" are constantly ongoing.

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Do you mean Stoli (Stolichnaya)? Yup, owned by a Belgian company and brewed in Latvia.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yep, that's the one.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Can someone enlighten me on what Russian Vodka companies have to do with gay rights protest in Russia? From the link in the OP I see nothing mentioned where Russian vodka companies are bashing gay people. :confused:

If that is the case and russian vodka companies have nothing to do with the oppression of gay rights in Russia this has got to be the stupidest protest I've ever seen. I'll be sure to pick up an extra bottle this weekend.

11. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Prepare your anus OP, there is a "supposedly" Russian guy on this forum who will descend on this thread and start spamming about how this is all deflection from the American Warmachine. Of which is being oiled with the blood of the earth.

Serious question on vodka though. Maybe i just don't have a taste for vodka but to me it all tastes the same. Am I crazy or is this the general consensus?

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

A vast majority of it does but good eastern European, Tastes different that good Scandinavian, which is again different than good Russian. It's kinda like gin for me yes I can taste a difference but no I don't care because I'm not a fan to begin with.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay then. Which part of that Olympics-related list of activities has been a "debacle"?

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I can't see this being effective. Reminds me of social media activists who try to make a difference by liking facebook posts.

15. elistan, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

elistan macrumors 6502a

From http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Reports/EN/en_report_668.pdf
    On one hand, we have something being produced in "a spirit of peace, excellence, friendship and respect" and on the other hand it's happening in a country advocating fear and persecution.

(Although to be fair, perhaps "debacle" isn't the most appropriate word. After all, this isn't a sudden breakup of ice in a river. :) Perhaps "farce" would be more fitting? Depending on how one feels about Russia, the Olympics and such, of course.)

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not disputing that they've recently enacted some douchey laws, but I still don't see how the Olympics are tied in.

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

a) The Olympics have a long history of being exploited for political means. See below, an excerpt from the doc I linked to above.
    b) They're both happening in the same country.
    c) The Olympics brings lots of attention to the host country.
    d) The attention the Olympics are bringing to Russia is also bring lots of attention to other aspects of the country, such as their douchey laws.
    e) Advocates against their douchey laws are using the attention brought by the Olympics to publicize their position.

I wonder if this doc will be updated to include an entry for the 2014 games.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds more like a "political debacle" to me, not an "Olympic debacle." You could even argue it's a "vodka debacle," by your logic.

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

The persecution of homosexuals in Russia is a "political debacle," yes. The Olympics being held in Russia despite the persecution of homosexuals, however, seems to me certainly to be an "Olympic debacle." IOW, the Olympics don't seem to be about what the Olympics claim to be about, which can certainly be considered a "failure" or "debacle."

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You still haven't shown how those two sentences are related. It would seem you're trying to use the second sentence to prove the first, but you haven't yet shown any relationship between the two. Do you have anything else to go on?

21. elistan macrumors 6502a

Oh. This started as we were discussing whether the event "hasn't even taken place yet" or whether it has. I was trying to explain how the "event" isn't a singular multi-week event, but rather was a continuous event. So "the Olympics" in my mind CAN be called a debacle - whether it really IS a debacle I'll leave up for you, and the OP vega07, to debate.

22. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not even going to try. To discuss whether it's a debacle or a farce or a "Russian political debacle" wasn't my intention of starting this thread. It's rather silly, really.

But I think the disconnect between Russia's criminalization of homosexuals and its hosting of an international event like the Olympics (of which there are definitely gay participants) is glaringly obvious. Whether this vodka boycott is smart or not is, however, a great topic to debate.

IMHO, this boycott is one way for the world to stand by our gay Russian brothers and sisters and let them know they are not alone. What brings more media attention? A picture of people dumping vodka on the street (Russia = vodka, however shallow this connection may be) or people verbally protesting these Russian laws? I say the former, but I know many others will disagree with me. I will leave you with this article to determine for yourselves if it's effective.

http://m.theatlanticwire.com/global/2013/08/russian-vodka-boycott-working-whether-you-it-or-not/68136/

23. elistan macrumors 6502a

Agreed, and I feel bad about letting Tomorrow drag me down that off-topic hallway. :( I thought I was just being helpful by trying to clarify something. Sigh.

24. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, though!

25. AhmedFaisal, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013