Duncanville ISD suspends high school teacher without pay because of ‘reprehensible’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 10, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...-teachers-reprehensible-offensive-tweet.html/

http://hegwood.dhs.duncanvilleisd.o...00&sessionid=8e8b9a8225f3a22465684048e0e42b07

[​IMG]

STUPID? yes, worth getting fired over? I don't think so.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The school did the right thing. This teacher obviously has serious mental issues and needs immediate psychiatric care. I'm surprised the suspension was w/o pay, though. The teacher's union probably doesn't even want to touch this.

Cue the "legacy of slavery" excuse for her behavior.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This.

School board would be doing a disservice to students, for continuing to employ someone with such mental issues, and could risk liability if she went off on students... and it shown that they knew.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

slippery slope, as long as her views DON'T interfere with her work, I would have no issues with her as a teacher.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

And the sheeple welcome the censorship with open arms ...

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

How is that censorship? Nobody is saying she can't say stupid things. Only that sometimes, depending on your job, there are consequences.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

She said this as a privat person. She has a government job.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The ISD is definitely doing this to save face and distance themselves from her comments, but as far as her views go, we need a bit more context of the situation to know if it will interfere with her job as a teacher.

In the first link, it does state that the teacher is an English teacher. If she were a history or political science teacher, then there would be some conflict between her views and her job, as she could be teaching points that are slanted to her opinion instead of the actual events or curriculum.

The problem now is if she can be trusted to perform her duties as a teacher, as she has called them to be under scrutiny. You would think it shouldn't be a problem, but then again if an English teacher could be fired for allowing their students to read something like The Catcher in the Rye, Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby, Brave New World, The Colour Purple, Lord of the Rings, or 1984 (all of which were required reading for me in high school but now banned), I don't know now.

But it's going to come down to trust, and if the school board can trust her.

BL.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Who banned these books? sources?

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The Oligarchs and corporatocracy love that people so willingly accept this nonsense.

Tow the line slaves and speak not against your new masters

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she got stupid, that I agree with, but fire her for that insignificant level of stupidity?

what is next? thought crimes? they had to track down who was the person who made a stupid tweet.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Telling "crackers" to "kill themselves" isn't what I would call "insignificant," but you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as well.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm not saying that I agree at all. Though, I'm not sure I would want someone with that level of stupidity and lack of common sense teaching my children. But that's a different discussion.

I was just saying that it's not exactly censorship.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

The US has already introduced thought crime.
    They sentence and stigmatise people for badthink.
    Where I live this is not possible. An actual crime needs to be commited.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

oh please, we do that here (while driving) in the FWY's all the time regardless of race :eek:

I have no issues as long as her views are not pushed or interfere with her work.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

A government punishing someone for voicing their opinion in a privat setting? that's not censorship?

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree. It's censorship. The school board could recommend a review of the teacher to ensure she's not saying this kind of thing in classrooms and it speaks poorly about her ability to engage and debate, however, school boards should not be able to fire someone because their speech is controversial.

Censorship isn't limited to quiet whispers in a private room, it protects someone standing on speakers corner or using a social media platform.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I see your points.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The teacher still has freedom of speech. But there are consequences for exercising that freedom. In this case, the school wants to cut all ties with him. Great, time for him to move on, elsewhere.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When you say something in public, you cease to have the "said this in private" as an excuse.

Twitter is in no way a private conversation.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

its a female and cutting ties is a bit over board.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Again, just my opinion, but calling upon white people to kill themselves seems to go beyond just being controversial. Suppose this were a white person calling on white people to kill...all black people? Would it still just be "controversial speech"?

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Somewhat flies in the face of your previous claims that the U.S. is the paragon of freedom.

----------

Twitter is not a private setting.

Not even close.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

She said it as a privat individual and not in her capacity as a teacher.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

First of all, there is an 'e' at the end of private.

Secondly, by your standard, what could someone say as a private individual that could get themselves fired?

Anything?