Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aluna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Mid-West
I have a problem with multiple copies of the same song (not different versions). For many songs, there are 4 copies of the exact same song.
It would be far too tedious and time consuming to go through an delete these manually.

I'm sure that at one time I found a free or inexpensive software application that would take care of this problem automatically, in one field swoop.

Can anyone suggest any of these applications?

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I have a problem with multiple copies of the same song (not different versions). For many songs, there are 4 copies of the exact same song.
It would be far too tedious and time consuming to go through an delete these manually.

I'm sure that at one time I found a free or inexpensive software application that would take care of this problem automatically, in one field swoop.

Can anyone suggest any of these applications?

File > Show Duplicates

Have to manually delete them, but it makes them easier to see. Sorry.

aluna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Mid-West
Tinker Tools

Yes, thank you. I am aware of that function. This would take too much clicking. I would get carpel tunnel syndrome.

I'm sure there is an application that I have used in the past. I think it may have been called tinker tools or something like that. It was a free download.
I guess I'll do some more research but if anyone knows, do tell.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
I wish you could just do Show Duplicates, then delete and poof, there goes the dups you have. Instead it removes the file from your library all together. Maybe Im doing something wrong.

Also, if you option click on the file menu you will be presented with Show Exact Duplicates which usually produces the same results for me. Ive read that this option should be used for detecting duplicates of the same song, whereas the Show Duplicate function shows songs that appear on more than one album. Like a regular version and an acoustic version on a different album.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Also, if you option click on the file menu you will be presented with Show Exact Duplicates which usually produces the same results for me. Ive read that this option should be used for detecting duplicates of the same song, whereas the Show Duplicate function shows songs that appear on more than one album. Like a regular version and an acoustic version on a different album.

Wow I learned something new! Never thought of that.

Anyway, you are right with the problems with "Show Duplicate": There are even a few cases where I have completely different songs by the same band with the same title but different music, not just acoustic vs. regular. I tend to change the name slightly to make them different (add an option-space to the title, for example). Another problem is when you have one complete album, plus a "Best Of" album. You probably want them both complete and not delete duplicates. And a final case is one duet that I have on two albums from both artists.

All in all, I wouldn't want to trust any tool that automatically removes duplicates without giving me a choice.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Coolest Trick Ever!!!

Wow. Thanks for the "option-click" exact duplicate trick! Just for those of you trying it at home make sure you hold "option" until you click 'exact duplicates.'

By far the best secret trick in iTunes!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Dupin costs $15 but works well(the unregistered version deletes 20 at a time so if your short of cash but not time that's a option).

If you have significant amounts of duplicates - as I did after a disastrous library ping-pong (one of the many reasons I dislike iTunes despite it's ease of use and listener-friendly features) Dupin is a great tool.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Wow. Thanks for the "option-click" exact duplicate trick! Just for those of you trying it at home make sure you hold "option" until you click 'exact duplicates.'

By far the best secret trick in iTunes!

Glad I could finally add something worth a damn to the forums here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.