Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Hey Guys how durable do you think the macbook pro 2017 will be?
I want to invest in one but im hoping it will last atleast 5 years :( thoughts?

lucien.dol

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014

I'd say that depends on your configuration. The hardware itself will be fine (all my MacBooks lasted many years), but if you buy the variation with the smallest memory, the smallest drive and cheapest chip you might find it starting to lag before its time.
I always get more memory (16GB instead of 8GB) and a larger drive (1TB instead of the standard 256GB or even 512GB) than the 'standard' offering, so that it will last longer. I also took the i7 processor rather than the i5. The extra money is worth it and ends up being cheaper (long term) than having to replace the laptop befor its time because it doesn't keep up with the latest macOS version or the latest software.

But that's just me... :)

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

as long as your not crazy stupid with it and take good care of it, then I see no issues having it for 5 years..but that goes for any Mac IMO.

I do recommend apple care if your a klutz like me though (which is why I bought AppleCare).

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
as long as your not crazy stupid with it and take good care of it, then I see no issues having it for 5 years..but that goes for any Mac IMO.

I do recommend apple care if your a klutz like me though (which is why I bought AppleCare).

This is exactly what I was going to say. AppleCare is no longer just an extended warranty. It’s now AppleCare + which added coverage for accidental damage.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
My mid 2012 MBA is still a good machine, I'm planning to change it since I want a bigger display with retina resolution, but speed is still good after more than 5 years. Battery life is still ok, not great as it used to be in the past but I can't complain.
A MBP you buy today can last for about 5-6 years, so it is an expensive machine but if you spend $2000 it costs less than $400 every year, that's $1 a day, not so much.
I'm still undecided between a refurbished mid 2015 or a new model with TB. I don't really care about the touch bar, but in 5 years USB-C ports will be the standard, so either I'll use adapters now (if I go for the TB model) or in the future (if I chose the one with USB-A ports). Anyway I'm going to keep the new machine for at least 5 years

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
My general thoughts are that if you want a definitely long lasting machine buy one without a separate graphics card (i.e. all of the 13 inch MBP). We have lots of old machines in that category, but a number of 'fancy' machines which have bitten the dust after about 3 years and definitely before 5.

We have had four of the old models with some rough handling from some people and they have done well. We only have one new model and that seems quite robust, except the keyboard is very easily blocked by a bit of hair or similar.

HTH

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
there have been reports that dust and dirt will kill the 2016/2017 keyboards.

the number of reports of failing keys/keybaords is worth taking into account - they didn't happen with previous models.

i myself had to have the keybaord replaced on my macbook pro 2017 13ntb - because the repacement is the same .. it'll fail again I fear (I'm chasing a refund)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have run into broken keyboards on 2017 rMBP models in the Apple Stores. That gives little reason for optimism about those keyboards.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The biggest problem with the current MacBook Pro design is the keyboard.
Many reports of failures, and even failed replacements.
Then again, others have had no problems at all.

Also something to be concerned about is contact between the keyboard and display when the lid is closed.
You want to be careful when carrying it around -- don't put it into a backpack that has stuff pressing on the case from either side (and causing contact between the display and the keys).

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
there have been reports that dust and dirt will kill the 2016/2017 keyboards.

the number of reports of failing keys/keybaords is worth taking into account - they didn't happen with previous models.

i myself had to have the keybaord replaced on my macbook pro 2017 13ntb - because the repacement is the same .. it'll fail again I fear (I'm chasing a refund)

FWIW, I clean my keyboard once a week w/ eyeglass cleaning wipes. Put it to sleep and really get the perimeters of the keys clean, all little bits of dust and dirt out.

I got my machine back in Dec. The first few months of ownership were a bit rough with random sticky keys, but since I've been doing this it's been working flawlessly.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
FWIW, I clean my keyboard once a week w/ eyeglass cleaning wipes. Put it to sleep and really get the perimeters of the keys clean, all little bits of dust and dirt out.

I got my machine back in Dec. The first few months of ownership were a bit rough with random sticky keys, but since I've been doing this it's been working flawlessly.

Using wipes isn't going to get dust, dirt and debris out from under the keys where the (apparently too fragile) butterfly mechanism is.

OTOH be careful with vacuums. Fifteen or 20 years ago I sucked a couple of keys off the keyboard on a Dell laptop I owned by applying the hose end to the keyboard. Use a dusting brush or take some other step to moderate the amount of suction you apply! The Dell was easy to repair. Pretty sure that would not be true for a MBP.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
I have had multiple issues with the 2017 model. Had to do two replacements for broken keys/keyboards. Also just a bunch of weird technical issues when hooking up to an external monitor.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Using wipes isn't going to get dust, dirt and debris out from under the keys where the (apparently too fragile) butterfly mechanism is.

There's no clearance for much to actually get under - the debris gets lodged around the keys, not under.

Seriously, try it, it works. I'm a remote software dev who uses my machine some 10-12 hours per day, routinely eats while working, etc, and my keyboard gets dirty quickly. I've had no issues since I started doing this and almost always had sticky keys prior.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There's no clearance for much to actually get under - the debris gets lodged around the keys, not under.

Seriously, try it, it works. I'm a remote software dev who uses my machine some 10-12 hours per day, routinely eats while working, etc, and my keyboard gets dirty quickly. I've had no issues since I started doing this and almost always had sticky keys prior.

OK - I am looking at the keyboard on my 2015 and it definitely has gaps around the keys that let crap of various kinds enter. But the 2016/2017 keyboard may be different - I've used them a lot in stores but don't have a good visual memory, though I do sort of remember the whole arrangement being tighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.