Durability of Black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NM08SRT8, Sep 12, 2012.

1. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I know this is being discussed in some other threads, but only mentioned..

Being black, not a natural color for metal.. What do you think the durability of the black color will be? I wanted black this time around.. But for a year or two, IDK if it will wear down on the edges, or corners constantly going in and out of your pocket or a case (for whatever reason).

Also, IDK if the color will come off if you put on a CF skin or something, and need to take it off for some reason..

Sound off below!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm more concerned about the durability of the Apple logo. On the original iPhone through 3GS, the chrome Apple logo would get scratched up like hell. On the 4/4S, it sits behind the glass so it looks as good as day one. Doesn't look like that's the case with the iPhone 5.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

im sooo confused as well, as the design looks amazing. This probably the first iphone that i do not want to put in a case but I am also concerned on the durability.

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

im pretty sure anodizing stains the aluminum pretty far down so it shouldn't strip and wear. its part of the aluminum not really a paint.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct, so I bet it'll wear just as well as the original iPhone with the exception of the extremely scratchable chrome border and exposed Apple logo.

Anyone know if the Apple logo is exposed on the iPhone 5 just like the original through 3GS?

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

On apples website for the iPhone video, you can see them cutting the edges of the black iPhone and it showing the aluminum..

I don't know how easily it'll show after one small drop..

Around 5 minute mark.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

i wonder if the glass sections sit a tad higher so it wont scratch up the back as much. since it is glass it doesnt really scratch.