Duration of installation

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ales876, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ales876 macrumors regular

ales876

hey,

I tried to install Mojave via USB but I don’t know if it really worked, because my installation runs now already about 2h and it says that it still needs 3.30h.

Any experience with that?

Cheers.

2. pentool macrumors member

I installed it yesterday to a new partition on my 2015 MBP from a USB 3 WD MyPassport drive. Took me about 20-25 minutes.

3. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

13 Minutes on a 3.0 USB stick and an 2017 MBP...

4. ales876 thread starter macrumors regular

ales876

I did a clean install, seems that it somehow went wrong.
    Normally I do it via usb and worked fine also for the last major updat3s but with this I struggle a little.

I’m able to create my USB installer but when I want to run it from the USB nothing happens, I just get request to add a. WiFi network.

I read also that there is a way to do it without the USB, that they load it directly from the internet via the recovery mode, they say it took forever and i assume this is what happened to me.

Can anybody assist in this matter? Installing it via USB?

The window I get shows me after the wipe and restart the Macintosh hd and my installer, when I click on it! Nothing happens, :(

Besides, when I make the normal HS installation and do the Mojave update via the App Store, is it the same as a clean install?

5. pentool macrumors member

6. ales876 thread starter macrumors regular

ales876

7. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Do an internet install by restarting your MacBook and pressing at the same time [Option - Command - R] when you hear the chime. Just make sure you have wifi enabled.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Depending on Mac vintage, internet recovery is an option.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

As to time to install, from my experience, not all USB sticks are created equal. For example, Lexar drives are really slow. Add in if you have an HDD, yes, might be installing, and yes, will take that long.

An iMac I just updated with an HDD took an hour, maybe a bit more via standard installer ofF the HDD.

9. ales876 thread starter macrumors regular

ales876

I got the usb which I used always for the past 3 years, it never took that long.

This is a brand new machine, just bought it yesterday, it has no HDD but an SSD.

Yesterday evening I did the step with the receivers and install OS , he showed me Mojave’s as well and this was the one which took so long.

10. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

If you have a 2018 model then you won't be able to install the OS as you did with the previous models, because your machine has the T2 security chip, you need to disable it first, then install.

11. ales876 thread starter macrumors regular

ales876

AHA!

this is the piece of information I needed, how can I disable it?

12. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

I have read about it, but I have not done it. I have a MacBook Pro 2015. But you now know where to start.

13. ales876 thread starter macrumors regular

ales876

Thanks.

I read online also that I can easily use the recovery mode option which will then download the latest (Mojave) OS kn the machine without backup. I did this yesterday and needed to stop after three hours...

14. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

I think that is the easy way. For a faster installation chose to encrypt the drive after the installation is completed.