During playback of a YouTube video, how do I "subscribe" to that YouTube channel on ATV3 or ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by watermelonbook, Nov 12, 2015.

1. watermelonbook macrumors regular

During playback of a YouTube video, how do I "subscribe" to that YouTube channel on ATV3 or ATV4?

I had no idea how to do it on ATV3. I was trying ATV4(which I later returned) last week, I mistakenly thought that it was possible to do it on the ATV4.

I decided to give the ATV4 another try, so I bought another ATV4 this afternoon. I just had it set up and apparently it's also not possible to "subscribe" to a YouTube channel on the ATV4's YouTube app. However, it is possible to "unsubscribe" for an existing channel that I already subscribe.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know....

Thanks!!! :)

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Good question. May I add another one?

How do I skip YouTube ad (after 5 secs)? It said to hold to skip but hold what?

3. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

hold the right side of the touchpad...

Glad I no longer need to do that. I signed up for YouTube Red
    and I have not seen *any* ads in YouTube for the last 2 weeks!!!
    Best $10/month I ever spent. (which works out to be 33 cents
    per day) Legal disclaimer: I'm not a Google or YouTube employee
    and my comments should not be considered an endorsement for
    YouTube Red or Google Inc. products or services.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thanks. I will try that.

5. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

if that doesn't work, just sign up for YouTube Red. :D

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I'm at work right now so not able to check it but try swiping down from the top edge of the remote or up from the bottom and see if there are any hidden settings for subscribing. I've found swiping down will show menus in most apps and tends to have the audio and subtitle options in there.

7. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

that's what I thought... but there's nothing about "Subscribing" in the pull down menu. :(

8. matrix07, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Nah. I'm good. I don't like the way ad free service turn ad full then force us to pay for getting rid of that full of ad.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it on my ATV4 at the moment but if the ads are too much I'd rather stop using it for good.

9. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a 99% cordcutter, so I rely on YouTube for a lot of things. YouTube Red is not for everybody. One thing that I enjoy that one video starts playing after another seamlessly with absolutely zero gap.(which is only possible with YouTube Red)