Dust in camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajm222, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Why does dust and debris always get into these smartphone camera housings? Had my phone a week and now there is a big piece of dust near the center of the camera within the housing. Wasn't there yesterday. Might have been inside the housing to begin with. But I swear that a piece of something always winds up inside the housing right in front of the lens on just about every smartphone i've ever had.

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 camera has a speck of dust inside the camera lens also. If I bring it into Apple, will the Genius Bar be able to just clean the inside of the lens? I don't want a replacement phone as my iPhone 5 is in perfect working condition.

3. ScottJ macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my iPhone 5 with speck beneath the camera lens cover just outside the focal area. I took it to the Genius Bar at my nearby Apple store and they took it into the back, popped off the case, and removed the particle. It took about 20 minutes, but I was glad I didn't have to set up a new phone.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

*sings
    Dust in the lens All we are is dust in the lens Oh, ho, ho.

5. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

So they was able to take it to the back and clean it? I'll schedule an appointment to the genius bar soon. I hope they can do the same. Really wanna keep this phone.

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

You have nothing to lose. Good luck to you. I would not like exchanging my iP5, as well.

7. ScottJ macrumors regular

When you get to the store you might want to specifically mention that you'd prefer a repair rather than a replacement. Given all the people that are taking phones in to be replaced right now, they may assume that you want it replaced...

8. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Brought it into an Apple Store and asked if they could clean it out. He asked all the other Genius staffs and also brought it to the back to ask if they could open it up. The guy told me that they can't open it yet and offered a replacement. Ended up not taking the replacement. I don't understand why they couldn't open it, it's the same exact screws and almost similar design as the iPhone 4S.

----------

The Genius Bar couldn't open the phone up yet. Should I wait for a month or so to go back again? I'm guessing they weren't taught about repairing the iPhone 5 but to give replacements for now.

9. cperchard macrumors 6502a

They are all full of crap.....course you can open it up.....take it to any phone repair shop and they'll prob do it cheap if you'd really rather keep the phone, may cost like £10 or something (dunno about USA)

10. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Not necessarily full of crap, they might not have had the training yet, received the take apart guides or the tools for the job.

Just had a look at the guide we have and it could be a fiddly job, but we wouldn't know till we actually get our hands on a 5, as well as we haven't received the tools for the job yet, and Apple love their tools for the different jobs and machines. Also, there are no spares for the 5 yet, or that I can see.

Not all geniuses are qualified in opening iGadgets, Macs, etc, the same as we have to do courses for each new machine/OS, etc that comes out, to stay qualified.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I'm just bitter about Apple cos they wouldn't open my iPhone 4 to fix a Sim Tray issue i had.....2 different times i went in to speak to 2 different people, both said i had to buy an out of warranty replacement......£129 or something.....so i went down the local phone repairer.....an hour later of him fiddling with it he fixed it, and was good as new, charged me £10....happy days, hate the "geniuses".

12. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Wasn't having a dig or anything mate, there are good and bad "geniuses", customer service reps, and all sorts out there.

I've been hacked off with them in the past as well, as well as others that i know of, and would rather do the job myself, than speak to some of them. And again, have had good experiences with them.

13. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm thinking. I'll just wait for a month or so and head back to the Genius Bar. He was asking the other workers if they can open it and they all said "No" so I'm guessing they haven't received the training yet.

14. ScottJ macrumors regular

Wow! I didn't realize it was going to be such a problem. I went to the Apple Store in Thousand Oaks (Calif.) a week ago, and it appeared to be a fairly standard procedure for them.

15. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Brought it into an Apple Store again today. The guy said he'll take it to the back to clean it out. He said the phone is made differently and can't clean the camera part. Sucks how I'll be stuck with a dust that's visible behind in front of the lens.