Dust under Glass on new MBP? - UPDATED ITS NOT DUST UNDER GLASS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ARK, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

I just received my new MBP yesterday and last night I noticed that I have two specs of dust under the glass. I don't believe they are pixels because they refract the light around them just like dust does when its on top of the glass. Only thing is I cant wipe these two black specs off. The biggest one is on the top right section of the panel and the smaller one is on the bottom left side.

So what should be my next step? Call Applecare I assume. What are the chances I will get a replacement? Anybody had any experience in this department?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you should get an exchange from where-ever you purchased it from.

3. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it from MacMall and their return policy is no returns/contact Apple support.

Update: I called the nearest Apple Store and told them about the dust on the MBP I just received. She said since its so new to box it up and bring it in so they could exchange. No need to make an appt.

4. DYER macrumors 6502

that is real unlucky i have some dust no a dust spec 1.5 inches to the right of the eyesight camera but its only one and i cant move and the machine is pretty much perfect otherwise so im keeping it lol.
    Normally you should get an exchange from where you bought it from but i guess apple is above that...

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Make sure you open the "new" machine at the store and inspect before going home and probably becoming disappointed again...

You'd figure with all of the returns/exchanges, are they just repackaging them and selling them as "new" to the next sucker. Not everyone will complain though and will just keep it.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

haha, I have a dust speck right in the middle of my spotlight spyglass, so it just seems like it's indexing ALL THE TIME

7. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Its Not Dust!! But Only One Came Off..

Last night I took a look at the "dust" issues on my MBP again. Using the display as a mirror, I sat under a lamp and looked at the lamps reflection from the glass screen to see if the spots were truly under the glass or something on the surface of the glass.

Sure enough the biggest "dust" particle on the top right side of the screen was on the glass itself and not under the glass. Using the apple cloth and a little water I worked on that spot for a minute and it finally came off. WOOHOO!!!

I looked at the second smaller spot on the bottom left side of the display and it too is on the surface of the glass. I worked on that spot as well but it did not come off. I tried several times last night and this morning but the second one still didn't come off. Since it was on the glass I thought maybe I could lightly scrape it off with the point of an exacto knife. I tried that but it didn't work either. Since the display was glass the exacto knife didnt scratch it either.

So, I still have a small spot on my display so Im going to call Applecare and see what they suggest doing. Anyway some of you that might have "dust" on your display take a good look it might actually be on the surface of the glass itself.

8. jgo78 macrumors 6502

"Since the display was glass the exacto knife didnt scratch it either."

How is it that an exacto knife doesn't scratch glass?

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Moh's hardness scale? Not sure ....

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You never used a razor to clean paint of a window?
    Glass is harder then metal.

11. jgo78 macrumors 6502

you mean it won't leave any fine scratches at all?

12. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Correctomundo!:D

13. DaSyce macrumors newbie

I've scratched glass with a blade in the past.. I wouldnt dare try this with my Mac..

14. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Im going to the local Apple Store tonight to have the techs look at it. Im going to have them document what they see and try to get it off with some cleaning solution they might secretly have.

If it doesnt come off then I have the documentation to send to MacMall to seek an exchange per a conversation with my rep. He also wanted me to try and photograph it - its too small to photograph honestly. My rep said if I send it back and he doesnt have enough evidence/reason for his management to exchange then they will just send the same MBP back to me. Crappy..

The other option is to see if the Apple Store techs can just replace the glass panel. I assume that can be done? Otherwise the display behind the glass is a perfect 85. That way I wont have to deal with MacMall horsing me around.

What hassle though. Geez.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Unfortunately you can't replace the glass. In Apple's component break-down they show the display lid, display, and glass as a single sealed unit. Only possibility is to replace the whole thing.

For something as small as you are indicating I'd keep the present one versus getting an unknown replacement.

16. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

But why should I keep something that has an imperfection on the glass making a small black dot on the display? Maybe they have some cleaner that will take it off who knows. They may look at it and discover that the glass is etched.
    :(