dust under screen and out of warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wywern209, Mar 1, 2011.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

k, so my iphone 3gs has some dust underneath the glass and it may or may not be out of warranty. do you think the apple store will replace it or remove the dust?

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Not likely! I used compressed air on my 3g when there was dust under it. It worked well but there was still some there. I ride my motorcycle to work almost every day and it had a lot of dust in it after every ride, so I stopped worrying about it.
    Give it a try, but don’t spray any of the cold mist in it. Keep it at a distance when spraying it.

3. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

i think you mistook my question. i was only wondering if apple will do anything about it. i see this is a common problem. this happened with my 2nd gen ipod touch as well. i only wanted to know if they will either a) replace it w/ a refurb or b) remove the dust using something machine or something.

EDIT: i used the warranty check tool and found out that chances are, my iphone's out of warranty.

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

My apologies,
    I’ve tried to do this year’s ago and it was a huge hassle trying to get apple to do anything with mine at the time. It’s highly unlikely they’ll clean or replace your phone, due to the fact that there is no defect to the device. That’s why I used compressed air. Good luck with customer service! Keep us updated if they do replace it.

5. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

k. my mom tho says just live with it. pfft... i'll see if a friend or someone can come w/ me to the apple store. so can i just talk to an apple genius or should i make an appointment?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Make an appointment. Otherwise, you might be there for awhile.

7. Beezy macrumors regular

They must have fixed this with iPhone4 because I sand floors for a living and I have gotten no dust at all under the screen.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why not just go with the compressed air? It'll save you the trip.

9. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Problem is, I don't want to make the problem worse. I think I'll take my chances and pay up if I need to because it's out of warranty. I honestly doubt they would charge me tho. Apparently they just unscrew the top and make a machine remove the dust.

10. Xtreambar macrumors regular

Any follow-up? I am having the same issue. I stupidly didn't get the extended warranty and have now noticed that dust is accumulating under the screen.

11. Moomba, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Moomba macrumors regular

FWIW I have an appointment in two hours to have my 3GS looked at. You can go to the apple support website and plug in your devices serial number to see what, if any service you qualify for.

I'll let you know what they do for me in a while. I doubt they will replace my entire device even tho it's under warranty (for another two weeks) since mine is a 16gb 3GS and they don't make/stock that anymore. :(

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You may get lucky, they could have refurbished ones. Or have they dropped it all together and now are just holding the 8GB model?

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can still get 2G replacements, just because something isn't sold doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

14. Moomba macrumors regular

You're absolutely right. They just opted to replace the entire unit with a new 16GB 3GS. They don't sell the 16GB 3GS' anymore, but it seems at least this store had one in stock for exchanges. Can't complain... the 1yr warranty was running out in just over two weeks and get a brand new phone. Couldn't be happier. :D