dust under screen protector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drich290195, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Drich290195 macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Do you think that dust under a screen protector will scratch the iphones screen

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Not a chance. However, if it's annoying you can often get rid of it if you're careful. You just need two small pieces of cellophane tape (Scotch tape). Use one piece, sticky side down, to lift up the corner of the film closest to the speck of dust. Then, use the other piece, sticky side up, and press it against the underside of the screen protector in the area where the dust speck is. Now comes the careful part, remove the second piece of tape without making a crease in the protector and then lay the protector back down on the surface. I've used this a number of times to help friends get rid of annoying dust specks under their screen protectors.

3. Drich290195 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drich290195

Thanks for the advice I dropped my phone and scratched the screen protector. Lifted it up to see if it had gone through the protector it hadn't but got some dust. Can't get another protector till I'm back from work at the end of the month and wanted to no if it would cause dramas or not. Don't know why I bother I go through that many screen protectors with scratches none of my mates have them and their screens are fine. I think the screen is better than the protector.

Is it worth bothering with them I don't use a case apart from the screen protector an I have next say replacement insurance through my carrier for cracked screens liquid damage etc wish I had the balls to go totally without one.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always subjective. You need to make the call for yourself. If it was a universal matter then either everyone would use them or no one would.

Screens do scratch whether any one person (or a group of people you know) has a scratched screen or not. Again, your call. Take whatever precautions you're willing to take.

People frequently seem to forget that screen protectors are sacrificial parts. They're designed to take the scratch because they're easier to replace. If you don't think it's worth the hassle then don't use them. You might want to reconsider the screen protector your using if you find that it scratches very easily. Not all screen protectors are equal.