DVD Backup???

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
A couple of months ago I bought Notting Hill on DVD. I have leant it to various people + it has got scratched! Anyway, it works fine at the moment, but I want to make a backup of it. How do I do it? Is there a simple tool that will let me do that? I am looking for a simple solution!

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Re: DVD Backup???

Originally posted by Falleron
A couple of months ago I bought Notting Hill on DVD. I have leant it to various people + it has got scratched! Anyway, it works fine at the moment, but I want to make a backup of it. How do I do it? Is there a simple tool that will let me do that? I am looking for a simple solution!
I don't think you're granted permission to make a backup copy when you buy the DVD.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Really, I thought it was ok if you own the original (which I do).

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by edesignuk

Do you actually care? :confused: ;)
Exactly! I don't know how we got sidetracked with legalities...

Has anyone made a copy of a DVD and how do you do it? I'd consider buying a burner if one could do this.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I did try dvd backup + it did extract ok. However, I had no idea which files to select (I only selected a few - the result, it did not work) - you dont need quite a bit of the stuff on the dvd - subtitles, other languages etc. Anyway, I want to go one step further + convert the audio + video into a smaller format. Then, I can put the video onto CD. To do that, I want to use some of the other tools - eg. dvdextractor

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Falleron
Anyway, I want to go one step further + convert the audio + video into a smaller format. Then, I can put the video onto CD. To do that, I want to use some of the other tools - eg. dvdextractor
hehehehe, so your moving away from a DVD 'backup', to ripping VCD's/SVCD's etc from the origional DVD's :D ;) :p

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
The thing is, I dont want to have to buy lots of DVD-r media. CD's are a lot cheaper. Ok, I only need backup one film, so its probably not worth it. I am just interested to know how its done.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
DVD backup

I just download DVD backup, and it saves the entire DVD to your HD. I copied the Sopranos CD and it is approx 350MB in size, where the dvd was around 7Gigs. I played it and it works great.
Very simple operation, takes about 20 mins on a 933, 1.28Gigs of Ram, and Superdrive with other apps going. here is the link, download DVDBackup1.2. Then follow directions. You want ALL of the files on the DVD, just select the DVD and thats it. http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download.html#DVDCopy

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Are you sure it copied the entire film? I have DVDBackup on my machine already, I'll give it a go.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Are you sure it copied the entire film? I have DVDBackup on my machine already, I'll

No, I didnt sit there and watch the entire movie, but I was flipping from chapter to chapter and everything looked good.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I just tried DVD Backup + the created movie plays fine. However, it is 6Gb + therefore is not compressing it at all.