DVD Burnspeed— is Apple feeding me crap?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonnylink, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Yesterday I noticed that some DVD's I've burned aren't being read by my MBP. These are DVD's I've burned on an PPC iMac. If I pop on of the DVD's into my folk's new MB the DVD's are read just fine. They never show up in my finder and there is not error message— nothing happens.

Applecare says that since my MBP reads at 6x and these DVD's *may* have been burned at 8x they are thus unreadable.

I've been burning CD & DVD's for a long time now and I've never heard that a burn speed locks in the read speed and makes a DVD useless. Have I just been missing this absolutely huge thing? Or is there something else wrong with my optical drive?

2. monty77 macrumors 6502a

They're talking rubbish .. burn speed of the DVD is totally irrelevant, the data on it is the same no matter how fast it gets there.

It may be that the DVD reader you're using is fussy about the media it likes to read - the drive in my Thinkpad is like that, only likes TDK for some reason.

HTH
    Adam

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Go into System Preferences, select CD's & DVD's and check the action of what happens when you put in a DVD. It may be set to ignore. You can change it in drop down to react whichever way you like when you pop in a DVD. It doesn't matter what speed the DVD is burned at.

4. jonnylink thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but the DVD being set to ignore is not the issue. The DVD never comes up in the finder at all. It doesn't appear to be mounting. Most DVD's work as expected.

I suspect this may be the first signs of a failing optical drive or the second sign that the drive sucks (the first being that it often chokes on tiny scratches that every other drive seems fine with). I should mention that the problem DVD's are flawless so it isn't dirt or scratches that are holding things back.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, it sounds a bit cloudy, I don't think I understand. Did you actually check system preferences and make sure it's set to launch DVD player or whatever application when inserting a DVD? If it's set to ignore the Finder won't display the disc at all.

6. jonnylink thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not true, I've always had my CD's and DVD's set to ignore. The only thing that affects is that no application launches when the disc is inserted. Most DVD's and all CD's show up in the finder just fine with the ignore setting.

Blank DVD's or CD's don't show up of course, but anything else does.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, I stand corrected, I just tried that on my iMac and you are right the movie DVD still mounts in the Finder even when set to ignore. Sorry for the misinfo, just trying to help. Let us know if your issue gets resolved.